Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Connecting PU Plugs to a DB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by myrick, Sep 27, 2002.

1. I am always troubled by the plug mounting thingies, the ones with the flat steel plate with two curled edges that you cramp across two strings somewhere below the bridge. They're usually not the right size for my string distance, and I can't believe its helping the sound either. Nor do I find them very secure. Worse, using the K&K double whatchamacallit plus the add-on mic, I end up with two of these.

Anyone have a better mousetrap? Of course there's always the old tie thingie through a string hole in the tailpiece trick, but that invites buzzes. Other clever solutions?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    With the K&K Doublewhatchamacallit plus the mic, you have only one jack plate if you order it that way. I've never had any problem with this setup, since you can adjust the tightness of the plate with a simple adjustment with some needle nosed pliers.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    An alternative is to extend the cable if it is not long enough, remove that little metal plate that clamps on the strings and secure the jack flush behind the tailpiece at an angle. I've have seen some guys actually drill a hole in there tailpiece and mount the jack. I just use some black t-shirt material torn into very thin strips (like string only stretchy) and I simply tie it on down there. I like this set up because I prefer having the cable come in closer to the ground on the side then off the front of the bass.

Kevinlee

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You can also get black cable ties.

5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Or make a little bracket:

[​IMG]

6. I drilled a hole through my tailpiece, and screwed on the little square jack plate from a Les Paul (black, of course). Very tidy, very strong.