1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Connecting to a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jmooda, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jmooda

jmooda

Apr 3, 2012
    Can you plug your bass into garage band and then run that into your amp? What is the best USB interface to get that's affordable?

2. No. What are you trying to do?

Define 'affordable.'

3. Define affordable.
    There are some decent interfaces around $100-150
    M-audio Mobile Pre, Presonus Audiobox, Focusrite 2i2.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Apogee Jam... not sure why you would want to run it INTO your amp from the MBA.

5. jmooda

jmooda

Apr 3, 2012
    I just got the MAC and was not sure how it all works. I thought maybe you could use the Mac as some sort of EQ or effects producer. So basically GarageBand is for recording only.
    By affordable I meant under 200$. I think for my level I don't need to spend $500 and up. For me it's just a leisurely time playing some tunes and making some recordings .
    What kind of app do I need to seperate the tracks so I can pull the bass lines out of songs and mix in new ones?

6. Look around at different interfaces, see which one(s) make sense to you and your needs (if your Air is anything like mine, it doesn't have a FireWire port, only USB...so any interface with a F/W-only connection is useless to you ), and note that many interfaces will have a stripped-down version of various Big Name DAWs bundled in (my Akai came with Cubase LE).

7. MCMLXI

MCMLXI

Feb 9, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    You can plug your bass into an iPad or iPhone using the Apogee Jam, run garage band (or one of the amp emulator apps) on the iOS device, then plug into your amp. Great way to get a consistent sound, practice with metronome or drums from garage band, learn songs, and have some control over your sound if you're somewhere with a terrible back line. You can do the same with your MacBook Air using an Apogee One or Duet which has both audio inputs and outputs and connects through USB. Just my experience.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/

Apple also makes a product called Main Stage which was previously bundled with Logic 9 and is now sold as a separate program in the App Store. It's designed to be used on your Mac in live situations giving you access to a variety of amps, effects, etc.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/mainstage/

8. jmooda

jmooda

Apr 3, 2012
    Thank you for the info!

9. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    The exact reason why I got a 13" Pro instead of the Air...

FWIW, I have a Presonus Firepod and love how it sounds. After initial install, the Mac recognizes it instantly and it's an absolute breeze to use...

10. My Air was a gift...if I'd been buying, I'd have gone for a Windows machine.

My Akai EIE interface is also recognized instantly by the Air, FWIW. That, the Air, and Reaper are working well together.

11. powerdimer

powerdimer

Jun 9, 2009
    There is no such app.

12. MCMLXI

MCMLXI

Feb 9, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    There are some amps that do that to some extent. The EBS Drome comes to mind. You could probably do the same thing with a parametric equalizer as well. Give it a try!

13. Firewire devices are not useless with an MBA. I have a Firepod and I use a simple Firewire > Thunderbolt adapter. I think it was about $12. Note I only believe this will work for Firewire 400 compatible devices, but I would need to doublecheck. Also note that there are going to be a lot more thunderbolt compatible interfaces (audio-specific or general purpose "docks") in the coming years.

14. jmooda

jmooda

Apr 3, 2012
    I ended up getting a Scarlett 2

15. jmooda

jmooda

Apr 3, 2012
    A Scarlett 2i2

16. powerdimer

powerdimer

Jun 9, 2009
    That's an excellent choice. I have the 8i6. The D/A-converter is bliss. I have it permanently hooked up to my stereo and laptop for listening to music. Playing music was never easier and never sounded better.