Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Connecting two amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kryojenik, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Kryojenik

Kryojenik

Jan 22, 2001
    I was wondering if it's possible to connect my two amps. I have a small Gorilla GG-60 practice amp that is pretty old. The jacks in the back are Preamp Output, Power Amp Input, Foot Switch, and Headphone. There is also a switch that is called Tube Stack in front.

My other amp is a big Crate BX-100 that is a few months old. The jacks are Effects Loop Send, Effects Loop Return, Headphone, and Speaker.

I have already tried connecting the Crate's Speaker jack to the Gorilla's Preamp and Power Amp jacks. Only the Gorilla made any noise.

Can anyone help?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass!

I'm not sure what you're after, but I guess you want more power by using both poweramps and speakers.

I'd choose this setup based on your info.
    Connect the Crate's FX Send with the Poweramp In of the Gorilla. Plug your bass into the Crate. Now the Create preamp feeds both poweramps.

But it could be that using of the FX send without going back into the FX return mutes the Crate.
    Then I'd simply get an A/B switch (Must be able to feed both A+B at the same time) to plug the bass into both amps.

Bass ->A+B switch ---> Crate
    ........................\---> Gorilla

A stereo stomp pedal on bypass also will do the trick

Never, I repeat, NEVER plug a speaker out into another amp input. The voltage can damage that second amp!!!

3. Jack Brown

Jack Brown

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi Kryojenik,

I experienced the same problem you are having when trying to link up a Crate BFX-15 practice amp to my SWR Workingman's 12. (to use the digital effects on the small amp)

No one I talked with recommended this setup... they just wanted to sell me a signal processor!

My solution was to come out of the bass into a Y cord. From there I just ran guitar cords directly into each amp. You can set the volume on either amp where ever you want. I don't play loud, and this system works great for my application! The small amp gives an added dimension which I really like.

The only problem I had was an objectionable 60 cycle hum coming from both amps. A 2 prong adapter plug without a ground, on the power cord of the small amp cured the problem. However, I know it's not good practice to delete a ground from any electrical appliance.

I am now building a new 1x15 speaker cabinet to go under the above listed amps. Have ordered a Celestion BG15S-100 speaker and am making a 3/4 inch plywood box to hold it. Any comments on this speaker or suggestions on construction of the box would be appreciated.

Happy bassin'
    Jack

4. Kryojenik

Kryojenik

Jan 22, 2001
    Thanks for the tips. I'll probably go with the Y cord, unless it's more expensive than an A/B switcher, which I doubt.

And I had a thought after I read JMX's response. Connecting the Crate's FX Send to the Poweramp In did nothing. I was wondering what would happen if I completed the circuit by connecting the Gorilla's Preamp Out to the Crate's FX Return. I don't want to try it, since I might destroy something.