Connecting two basses to separate inputs...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by invader3k, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Hey everyone. Hope someone can help me with a small problem. I use two basses (mainly). One is a Fender American Standard P-bass which is passive, and the other is a Fender Deluxe Active Fretless Jazz bass (which is, of course, active). I use a Peavey TNT 115S combo amp. The amp has separate high and low inputs...a passive bass should go to the high and an active should go to the low input. I could plug the active into the "high" input, but you're not supposed to do that, apparently. Is there a way I can easily connect the two basses simultaneously so I can switch between the two inputs? I also want to be able to use my pedals with both guitars. I really want to work out a solution to make playing gigs a little easier (rather than having to turn off the whole amp and switching cables when I need to switch guitars).

Thanks in advance.
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    An A/B box.

If each bass has noticeabily different
    output signal strength a Boss LS-2 as an A/B box
    will even them out.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    It depends. Some amps have the inputs wired so that if a cable is plugged into one of them, the other input is disabled. On others you can use both. I don't know about the Peavey.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    See, now that's why an effects loop is a good thing -- that way, you can use your pedals no matter what instrument you've got plugged into your amp.

But yeah, grab an A/B box.
  5. BeeBassist

Oct 24, 2004
    Bassbone by tonebone a killer hotrod A/B box and more.

Bee Basses rule!
    Dave :ninja:
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why are you turning off the amp simply to change basses?

Simply turn the input gain knob (if there is one) down all the way, or turn the volume down all the way, instead.