1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Connecting two Hartke Hydrive 410 to the LH1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvalenzh, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hi,

I would like to know what is the optimal way of connecting the Hartke LH1000 head to two Hydrive 410 cabs to get the most out of this rig. Not sure whether it should be bridge, parallel, speakon, 1/4", outputs A or B. Thank you!

PS: I searched the threads but didn't find anything very specific to this exactly.

Javier.

2. Speakon is best. Aside from that, doesn't matter. A and B are really one mono output so it doesn't matter if you use them both or jump from one cab to the next. Same result. The cabs are 8Ohm units, correct?

Edit: I see that it has a bridge option-didn't realize. In this case I still think it doesn't matter-I'd run bridged into cab 1 and daisy-chain it to cab 2.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    No, in the LH1000, this is not true.

-only- the Speakon presents bridged mono.

The 1/4" phone jacks can be used in parallel as two separate 500W (ish) amps (varies with impedance).

So - for full power - bridged mono mode through the Speakon, then from one cabinet to the next. I donno if the HyDrive 410's have Speakons but since they're 1000W cabinets, they should.

Bridged mono is good to 4 Ohms minimum.

The individual sides (parallel mode) are 2-Ohm safe but bridged mono goes only to 4.

Either mode can drive an 8-ohm load.

4. I would try them in parallel mono with one cabinet on each output amp. This is how I run my system.

5. Ya, I saw that and hence my edit. So the short answer is still 'it doesn't matter.' Same power to each cab either way, although some claim amps sound 'different' bridged.

6. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I own an LH1000 and use two 8 ohm 1x15" cabs. You want to use bridge mode, with a speakon cable out to one cabinet, then use a jumper to connect the two cabinets. That way the two 8 ohm cabs are in parallel, for a load of 4 ohms.

7. Thank you guys! I'll go first with parallel, each cab on separate channel (A and B). Gotta start by getting the amp repaired first since the A channel is malfunctioning.

8. That would indeed be a good start. :)

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I run in Dual Parallel mode but I have to because I use two 4 Ohm Cabinets. It sounds great this way.

10. Thanks again guys!

11. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    I have this set up.

Use the speakon cable out of the LH1000 to the first 410 Hydrive, then a second speakon cable from the first 410 ( 8 Ohm cab) to the second 410 (8 ohm cab). Now you have 4 ohm load. Set the lh1000 to bridge mode to get the full 1000 watts.

12. Of which the cabinets can take somewhere in the order of 5-600W before over excursion, farting out and damage. Bridging isn't about wringing every last watt out of the amplifier it's about increasing voltage swing across a higher impedance.

13. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    It's also about clean headroom, especially with low tunings, fighting a loud drummer and one or two loud guitar players. I don't think anyone here is diming their lh1000 and using all 1100W.

14. Thanks all. I guess there's a debate here regarding whether to get the full 1100 W from the amp by bridging and daisy chaining, or to be moderate and get 640 W by going parallel connecting each cab to a separate output channel A and B. The first option will probably give you less life out of the amp and speakers but more power. The second will protect the equipment longer but a little less power. Maybe the safe bet is to begin with the parallel option and try it out in different live situations. If that's not enough, then go with the bridge option, but assuming the risk of shorter equipment life.

15. Only if the attached speaker systems can handle the power being fed them. As for running the amp at full you simply cannot say that. It's amazing what folk do.

16. Here is what the LH1000 puts out at various impedances :

Dual Parallel Mode:
    2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms
    2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms
    2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms

Bridge Mode:
    1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms
    1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohms

If connected in bridge mode, the two cabinets (8 ohms each) will give a 4 ohm load so the amp will put out 1100W maximum and each cabinet will get 550W max.

In dual parallel mode, the amp puts out 225W on each channel into 8 ohms so that's what each cabinet will get at most.

Since the Hx410 is rated to handle 1000W it should be able to handle 550W both thermally and mechanically.

Remember that 1100W is the amp's maximum output and you certainly don't have to turn it all the way up.

17. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Right, my cabs are rated for 600W so I'm not too worried about damaging them. I play in a seriously loud band, and I've never had the amp over 7 on the dial so I'm pretty sure the cabs aren't seeing the full output of the LH1000. Running it in parallel at 2x225W wouldn't come close cutting it in the mix.

18. Hey "The_Janitor", do you use Speakon cables both from the amp to the first cab and from the first cab to the second? Also, on the first cab which Speakon input left or right is for the signal from the amp and which input is for sending to the second cab? And on the second cab which input should be used?

Maybe all this doesn't make a difference but just want to be sure. Thanks.

Another thing, is there just one type of Speakon cable, do I need any type in particular?

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    They're the same i.e. connected in parallel. Use whatever works for your setup.

The LH1000 uses a plain vanilla "+1, -1" Speakon.
    -Some- amps (i.e. NOT the LH1000) have a special cable for Bridge mode.

20. Thank you ArtechnikA for your answers!