1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Connecting two small amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lenosgood, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hi guys. Having just started back playing, I picked up a P bass and a little practice amp cheap on CL. The bass is fine for what I need right now (although I have GAS already...:D) but the amp, to be blunt, is a piece of crap. First off, it's a little Squier practice amp, and it's a guitar amp. I have another little guitar practice amp that I've had for years and my question is this: Can I connect one to the other via the auxiliary speaker plug? The Squier amp works okay as long as I don't turn it up past halfway, but after that it's fart city, and needless to say, it doesn't sound right at any volume. I'm planning on getting either a decent combo amp or a small cab after the first of the year, but I'm stuck with what I have for right now.

Also, what would be a good choice for a first effect pedal? I play mainly classic rock, country, and am exploring reggae, although eventually I'd like to add some funk as well, but that's waaaay down the road. I'm thinking maybe a compressor or chorus or maybe a basic combo pedal...I dunno---I'm a newbie at this stuff still...:rolleyes:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You can't run a second amp out of the speaker jack of the first amp. But since you're looking for a pedal, find one that has stereo outputs, and then you can run your 2 amps out of the stereo outputs of the pedal.

3. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Does either amp have a tuner out, or effect loop send? Use that and connect to the "input" of the other amp.

4. The only thing close is on the older amp--it has a footswitch input jack. The squier amp only has two input jacks, a headphone jack, and an aux jack. No biggie, really. I can suffer with it for another month or so...I was just wondering if it would work.

5. If the Squier amp has two inputs, you can plug the bass into one, then plug a patch cord from input two into the second amp's input.

IMHO, a compressor is the last thing you need at this stage. I'd recommend an inexpensive multi-effects pedal. that would have a lot of neat synth tones, chorus, envelope follower, etc.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    For best results, get yourself a decently sized BASS combo amp. HUGE difference.