Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Connection between rear pu and bridge on a J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sprudellio, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Well I bought this MIJ Jazz Bass and now I wonder what this stripe between the rear pickup and the bridge is. It looks like a thin stripe of copper. I didn't even notice it until yesterday.
    Can I remove it? It kind of bothers me.

[​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a grounding strip. Older method used instead of drilling from under the bridge to into the control cavity. Was done mostly in the '60's I believe.

Is it under the clearcoat or over it?

3. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    It's not in the finish, it's on top of the bass.
    Would it be difficult to drill from the control cavity to the bridge and do the grounding internally?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Need a long bit and good aim. I've never tried.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thats a quite a pretty MIJ.

But yeah, I agree with tplyons. I think it would be rather hard to do.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    you can remove it but I believe you will get some buzz when your fingers are not touching the strings, this depends on the ground/power situation with your amp and the room. For some this is a problem, for others it is not. I connot hold a bass in my hands without always touching the strings, this is due to many years of playing a J. You can also get some metal cleaner, or polish and lighten up the copper a bit, maybe straighten it out, it may not be so bothersome. I would also say that you have a perfect excuse to upgrade the pick ups and electronics!!

7. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks!

I was going to put DiMarzio ModelJs in it anyways.