Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kidkay, Aug 16, 2004.

1. kidkay

kidkay

Aug 16, 2004
    i'm new on here so,first of all,hello!hope everyone is well.
    i've recently bought a spector q4 pro bass and a peavey practice amp which i use to record on my pc.when i play my bass through the mixing desk it's fine,but when i play it through the amp,i get no sound whatsoever.same jack lead etc.if i play anything else through the amp,cd player,pc soundcard or whatever else it works,it's totally baffling me.also i have a carl martin copressor pedal and when i plug the bass into that,then the pedal into the amp that works aswell.the only way it doesn't work is bass straight into amp.anyone got any ideas coz it's driving me mad.

cheers,
    james :bassist:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi james, sounds like an issue with the instrument cable. If you're plugging CD's and sound card's and such into your amp, you can't be using the same cable as when you plug in the bass, right? All phone plugs are not alike. If you look very carefully, and maybe take some measurements, you'll probably find that there's some small difference in the length of the plug, or the position of the insulating washer, or some such thing. Have you tried a different instrument cable?

3. kidkay

kidkay

Aug 16, 2004
    the soundcard i'm using is a delta 44 which is all jacks.i'm using the same type cables for those as the bass,when i plug the soundcard into the bass amp it works.also,the bass plugged into my desk and out through my monitors also works with the same cables.my bass won't work through my tuner either,could it be something to do with the basses output level?madness! :confused:

4. kidkay

kidkay

Aug 16, 2004
    i'll try another cable but i had the same problem with a planet waves one,which i thought didn't work and threw it out.

5. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Try the cable you used on the output of the pedal to the amp, you know that one works in the amp so plug it into the bass, it should work. Also, you pedal may be adding gain to a weak signal, this could also be so with your mixing board. i don't know anything about your bass, is it active? Is the battery dead?

6. kidkay

kidkay

Aug 16, 2004
    hey there eldermike,thnx for your post.the bass is passive,but with active circuitry,i changed the battery and tried it through the pedal,no joy.the lead i used was a short patch bay lead,which was borrowed.it must be something with the leads though,coz it used to work great with an old one i had,so i know the bass and amp are ok.could it be something like a difference between 4 or 8 ohms?i don't know anything about this really but...just a thought.

7. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Patchbay cables are tip-ring-sleeve, or balanced cables. This explains it. you have to use unbalanced (tip-sleeve) from your bass to your amp.