Connector is loose ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by michaelsanford, Apr 4, 2004.

1. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    I've been reasonably pleased with my Ibanez SRX300 with one major failing : it seems as though the phono connector is slightly loose which is causing loud crackling when I move (and the patch cable moves).

I guess I need a replacement eh ?
  2. Not sure if a Radiosmack connector would be a good replacement or not, but they're only a few dollars. Or maybe it's a loose wire.... Maybe it's dirty in there...

Assuming it's not the cable of course.
  3. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    It's not the cable (I've tried several).

Hmm I'll look into RS.
  4. Michael, this is a very common thing and it's not necessarily the jacks fault. There is also an easy fix for this condition that I'll describe for you:

I'm not familiar whether your Ibanez has a pickguard or not but you'll have to remove the jack from the body. Don't clip anything! You are going to concentrate your attention to the jack contacts themselves. Notice that the prongs on the jack just push against the plug when it's inserted. There's a short prong that slides against the barrel of the plug and there's a long prong that clips into the detente on the end of the plug. First, give each of the prongs a little tweak to bend them in towards the plug. Don't overdo it or they can break off. Test fit a plug and see if that doesn't help with the grip. The next thing to do is re-assemble the jack into the bass but in a very special way. Hold the bass in playing position and determine how the cable pulls on the plug against the jack contacts when in use. Gravity pulls the cable and that pulls one end of the plug down while the other end pushes up. Let this natural condition work for you. You want to mount the jack in the hole, in such a position to have the plug tip pushed against it's contact in normal playing position. This means that the tip of the cable plug is always in contact with the + prong.

Hope this helps
  5. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    Awesome Hambone I'm going to give that a try this weekend.

I'm sure it is a common problem, but my bass is less than 8 months old :rolleyes: