Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CONRAD BASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Sep 12, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I know some of you are probally annoyed of my constant messages but this is my last one...i found out after days of hard work and editing I found out my bass is a Conrad...a very old one at that...my question is are conrad basses good basses...(if anyone knows of this brand) and since its such a old one is it worth rebuliding or leaving it as is....im planning to change one of the pickups to a j pick up and remove the ANNOYING 2 saddle bridge..its making it impossible to get it perfectly in tune...anyways..I think after these repairs and a few upgrades i think it will be a pretty good bass......any comments or advice for me??...I badly need it

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I think I used to have a Conrad copy of a Dan Armstrong bass. I think they were mostly a "knock off" maker, would make copies of existing makes and models but never really did anything "original".

Is there a builder you can trust around you? If the "bones" of the bass are good enough - wood, construction, wiring, etc. - than I don't see why it would be a bad idea to "upgrade" parts.