1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cons: None

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron_D, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is anyone tired of reading Bass Player Magazine and seeing "Cons: None" on bass reviews? Seriously...? None?! gtfo.

:bassist:

2. Well, perhaps these reviews are not always totally subjective. If I read a review for a new Fender, and then turn the page to a full spread Fender add...well...

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Looking at the vast majority of basses reviewed, they are uber expensive boutiques. For those price points, there better not be any cons!

Not to derail, but has anyone noticed the number of advertisements Dave Ellefson appears in?

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I've really had it with BP. It has gone down each year I have subscribed. I should just take my money and burn it.

5. That's a good point too. I would expect very few cons from an MSRP of over 3 Gs. But this also begs the question, why not review some crap once in a while? It would be at least as useful to the average bass guy, if not more so. Most people willing to lay out that kind of cash already know what they are getting in to. By contrast, look how many TB threads focus on "Which (cheaper bass) is best/better/should I buy/sucks/rules?"

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You still pay for BPMag?

Lol

7. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    It's better than reading Home & Garden, isn't it? ;)

8. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah...I was a subscriber in the mid 90's--just received my few first issues and am not too impressed.

9. Yea, but if you like reading about bass, bass players and other bass/musical related topics, IN PRINT, not on the screen - your alternatives are?

I don't subscribe, but I pick up possibly 3 or 4 issues a year.

10. Actually, since quite a few reviews do have cons, I kind of get it.

I think the general thing is that there are very few 'bad' products on the market (I finally got to this point after years of bickering back and forth with my buddy Tom Bowlus regarding what I perceived as my more 'complete' reviews of products, mentioning 'warts and all', and his view of just kind of describing the tone and staying out of positives and negatives, and not even talking/posting about gear he really didn't like).

Bass Player seems to kind of take Tom's approach, which is to describe the tone in general and then only bring out negatives that are more 'production problems'... like bad fretwork, or knobs that are cheap feeling, or top end of a cab that is very attenuated even though it is a multiway cab, etc., etc.

I have no problem with it. And, when there is a serious issue (like the recent Epifani DIST review) or the lack of even high end on some of the Accugroove cabs, they lay it out there in all honesty. They of course, present it in a non nasty way, and you have to think a little bit about what they are saying, but it is there if you really pay attention IMO!

I continue to like the mag, and don't feel their reviews are that bad.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm mainly just messin'.

I canceled my sub years ago, but I'll pick up a few back issues now and then if I run by GC and they have some in stock.

I have to keep pretty current with my music so G.W. has plenty for me to read in that regard. I don't do much jazz/classical/solo bassin', and BP was always uber-lite on rock/heavy music, so that fills me up. I'll read an article online now and then since I'm on the email list.

Brian Beller is pretty much all they have going for them. He has a very cool pedalboard setup video they just posted a week or so ago.

But the reviews have always been laughable, at best.

12. That's why I like Bass Gear and have canceled my subscription to BP mag. Now, when BG mag starts getting a regular magazine out every month or so Bass Player will probably sink.

13. As a retired hobbyist and non-paid jammer/gigger, I find both mags as too elitist and therefor, although I might look at something on line, I don't even believe that I'll waste money buying one or the other.

I just wonder at all the sheer numbers of NEW people paying thousands of dollars for basses. There HAVE to be huge numbers of boutique n00b-owners, or these magazines would only be preaching to the choir.

Or --- is THAT the only audience they want?

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Political correctness.

Just last night I was reading an old BP mag from 1994 and in the bass shootouts they straight-up said what they didn't like about each or every instrument. I thought 'wow that was cool'.
    Very different tune to how they're written this decade. Every review is rather candy coated.

15. This is why I rarely buy the mag. I'm all for reviewing 3K boutique basses but why not review some Squiers/Ibbys/Yammies in the lower price spectrum as well? IMO the vast majority of players are not in the 3K market.

16. Actually very different mags. Bass Player has only a few pages of gear reviews, and mostly is about the players and music. Bass Gear is mostly about, well, the gear. Different audiences IMO.

17. True, but I was mainly addressing the review portion of BP. BP does have a lot more to do with the playing side, which may help them stay afloat but their reviews are, IMO, biased.

18. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I think they realize a lot of reviews are subjective when not directly related to production quality. Frets, finish etc. And a revieiw on such things IS a kick in the pants to the big guys like Fender even when the article overall has a positive tone and hopefully applys "some " pressure on QC.

I think they also do not want to alienate readers by dissing their favorite model "Fender" etc. as well as juggling advertisers and integrity issues.

And frankly, if I tried, I could let myself get negative about and shoot down ANY product on a grumpy day LOL.:p:bassist::D

(I just got my second issue after resubscribing after not for a number of years LOL)

19. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Why not have multiple players review the instruments?

Bob, who plays a P-bass in a classic rock band, though the pickups were a bit to bright an he did not like the body finish.

Sam, who plays funk on a j-bass, loved the sound of the pickups but did not like the lack of midrange control.

Sally, who plays a 6 string MTD in a fusion band, though the bass felt cheap and especially the knobs.....

Overall Score:

Bob ***
    Sam ***1/2
    Sally **

Something like Consumer Reports.

20. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    On second thought, maybe Bass Player Mag should just skip reviews all together. I am not persuaded either way by their phony reviews.

When I am interested in buying an instrument I look on Talkbass to see what those jokers......er...excuse me.....fine gentlemen and ladies say about the gear. :D

I also look at Harmony Central Reviews, though their new format sucks.

And then there is trusting my own judgment and play the darn thing!