Consequences fo 8ohm into 4ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What would be the outcome? How about the other way around?
  2. Not exactly sure what your asking, but............

If you are asking about having a 4 ohm cabinet, and your head is only rated at 8 ohms, then the answer will fry your head.

The other way around is fine. You have an 8 ohm cab, and your head will handle 4 problem.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    As the great Fonzy would have said, "Ehhhhh, exactamundo!"
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Keep in mind though that if your amp is rated for a 4 ohm load, putting an 8 ohm cabinet on it will reduce the amount of watts your amp will be delivering.
    For instance, my power amp puts out 700w into 4 ohms but only 475w into 8 ohms.
    Like the other guys said, you definitely shouldn't put a 4 ohm cab on an amp that's only designed to go down to 8 ohms.
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    another good way to fry your head is to grab a giant pot of boiling bacon grease and dunking the head in.......
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany forgot the fresh garlic.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    And while some insist cornmeal makes the best breading, I prefer a cornmeal/flour mix. ;)

Another possibility - maybe stinsok wants to run a 4 ohm and and 8 ohm cabinet in parallel.

You can do that, as long as your amp can handle the load - maybe about 2.67 ohms if I remember??? Also, the 4 ohm cab will be much louder than the 8 ohm cab. If you don't mind the 4 ohm cab being 'dominant' then that's okay...

Of course, you could be asking something completely different. Lift the veil of vagueness, o mighty stinsok, that we might shower you with relevant answers!!:rolleyes: