1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Conservatories/Universities with free tuition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by anonymous12251111, Mar 19, 2009.

1. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I'm looking for a graduate (Masters) school in the states that has free tuition. I'm from Canada, so I don't want to pay out of my nose.

Thank you kindly.

2. Curtis, Yale and Colburn all do. I think Northwestern might have a program in conjunction with the Chicago Civic Orchestra that helps with/eliminates tuition costs. I haven't really looked into this carefully though, so check the websites for those schools to make sure.

3. I doubt you are going to find something for free, unless you can get some baller scholarships.

4. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    kk, thanks a ton!

5. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hey Calvin !

the University of Cincinnati used to have what they called UGS (university graduate scholarships) and something like 70% of ALL grad students in ALL majors had them. Very few students paid any grad tuition and the ones that did probably just didn't qualify because of not being full time or having poor grades etc...

Albert Laszlo teaches there, he has different ideas but he is a good musician and some of his students seem to be getting jobs.

6. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks Rod, hope Toronto is working out for you. PM me and we can grab a beer! Is his "brick" the controversial idea?

7. The McDuffie center for the arts at Mercer University

8. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I met Al Laszlo once and played for him (college auditions, I made it but the financing didn't work out).

I thought he was amazing, and I still wish I'd had the chance to study with him. Definitely a bit eccentric compared to a lot of teachers, but I also heard some of his students playing at a master class, and they were fantastic. Whatever he's doing, it works.

9. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    oooohhh i didnt know yale was free? the only ones ive heard of are curtis and colburn, but other than that you might have to just try to get a good scholarship?

10. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005

we shall have a beer for sure Calvin ! (I am not yet in Toronto)

yes, the brick is one of his controversial ideas.

I have to say though that his ideas are usually scientific and not the usual hocus-pocus.

11. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Just to clarify, the masters program at Yale is free. They don't technically have an undergrad degree, or at least a BM.

But Mr. Palma is the man, and the department is killer. Very competitive for obvious reasons.

NEC has a artist diploma program that is free, I think.

12. NotACello

NotACello

Oct 11, 2006
    new york city!
    I agree. A technique based on a UFO abduction would definitely fall under the category of "science," for sure.

13. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    In my years of weekly lessons with Laszlo I never heard him say anything of the sort, perhaps you had that experience but I sure didn't.

14. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Azusa Pacific (teachers Tim Eckert, my former teacher, and Nico Abondolo) is offering full tuition (and board, I think?) to bass students, I believe. That might have been only this last year, but hey, who knows? Could be offering that for a while.