Consider a 2x15 retro-fit. Ideas and opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Hello everyone.

I have an old Fender 2x15 cab (no speakers). I'm considering refitting it with a couple of Eminence 15s, but I'd like to throw a tweeter into the mix to help with the highs.
    I'd like to be able to cross the highs over to the tweeter and keep them off the 15s, because 15s just don't highs worth a hoot, but I'm unsure of what type of crossover would be best for this.
    I want to run the cab at 4 ohms. I'm unsure of how the tweeter/crossover assembly affects the load. I know I need two 8 ohm woofers wired parallel if I'm only going with the 15s, but not sure if adding the tweeter.

Thanks for your help..

2. bump..

For instance, how are the modern cabs (4x10+tweeter) wired?
    You've got 4 speakers (4 ohm cab=4-4 ohm drivers), so how is that 5th speaker (tweeter) wired into the mix to keep the load at 4 ohms??

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The load impedance is equalized by the crossover. I would advise against a tweeter with 15s, as there will be a large response hole in the area above where the 15s work effectively (800-1kHz) and the tweeter takes over (3-4 kHz). Use a sealed back Eminence Alpha 8 MR instead to get a decent midrange/HF capability, crossed over at 800 Hz. You also can get a lot better bass response by using one high grade woofer instead of cramming two into a box that's too small to deliver true low frequency performance when loaded with two drivers. The Magnum 15LF would be a good choice.
  4. Thank you very much for the ideas..
    As things stand now, it's almost more costly to buy a couple of good 15s for this cabinet than it would be to buy something new.
    I did find out that piezo type tweeters don't add a load to the wiring scenario. The Foster horns seen in many prebuilt cabs such as the Avatars use these type.
    Much to learn here, but hey it's fun..