1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering 2 epifani ps1x12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hermanmunster, Mar 23, 2010.

1. hermanmunster

hermanmunster I don't feel tardy Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2007
    For those of you that have this cab or the ps 115. Is it ported? Front? Rear? I can't seem to find any info on this. I play in a cover band playing classic to current rock. Is this cab a good fit? Also considering the ps115.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    They are front ported. I just bought that very same mini-stack. They are very fat-sounding for 1x12s and can get pretty seriously loud for how small they are. They are NOT excessively bright cabs, but the highs they have are pretty sweet, much nicer than the typical horn you find in most cabs. I'm sure that, if you EQ in enough highs and turn the tweeter up high enough, you can get as bright a tone as you want.

I am gigging mine for the first time this weekend, so I haven't tried them on the job yet. But, I have shaken things off the walls at my house with them (seriously, I had to apologize to the wife). Typical of a 1x12, 1 would probably only be enough for practice and small gigs, but two of them can handle almost any situation. Especially if you have PA support.

3. hermanmunster

Jun 15, 2007
    Perfect! I didn't want another rear ported cab. I had a Ernie Ball 2x12 cab that was rear ported. It sounded good until I got onto a bigger stage with a lot of room behind it.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if you've ever tried a pair of aguilar gs112's, these are like those, but just BIGGER sounding. and yet oddly, the epi's are actually a touch smaller in dimensions.

terrific little cabs.

5. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Really? I have played through the GS112s and own the PS112s and I was under the impression that the PS112s were a bigger box. I agree that the Epifanis sound bigger than the Aguilars though, regardless of dimensions.

EDIT: Looked it up. Looks like the Epifani IS the bigger cab, although they are similar in size.
    Aguilar GS112 = 14"H x 19"W x 18"D
    Epifani PS112 = 16.5"H x 19.5"W x 16.5"D

So the Aguilar is deeper, but the Epifani is taller and just a little bit wider. Just FYI.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    my bad, cant argue w/ the specs, but i do remember the epifani being a much nicer footprint and fit than the gs112 for the smaller stages i was working at the time. and how much more bigger it sounded as a whole.

7. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    As far as footprint, I'm not sure I've ever played a show where 1/2" made a big difference in stage room, and I've played in some really tight spaces. Also, I generally prefer a taller cab over a deep cab if I have to choose one over the other. But, what's important, is that you are happy with your gear. Aggy and Epi cabs are both top-notch.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sorry about my comment change... looks like we were posting at the same time.

but yea, footprint and 1.5-2" depth is a world of a diff for me doing pit and cabaret gigs, where its either breathing room, or ontop of the MD's right hand on his piano. and yes, i still wish i could find a lower profile right angle speaker cable. :rolleyes:

9. hermanmunster

Jun 15, 2007
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of the PS 112's. Glad they are front ported. Thanks

10. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Couldn't agree more, some of the deeper cabs would be OK, but with the cable sticking another couple inches out from the back, it can make an already tight situation worse. Speak-ons are even worse. But, like I said, I prefer a taller cab to a deeper anyways if I have to choose, as it gets the sound closer to my ears.

AWESOME!!! I think you will like them. Make sure to update the thread when you get them and have a chance to play through them a bit to let us know what you think. I am surprised that these cabs don't get more love here. A pretty high-quality, nice sounding, fairly lightweight cab for a VERY reasonable price.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020