1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering a 1x12" cab build: questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Sep 12, 2008.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm new to cabinet building, but not to woodoworking. I'm planning on building a 1x12" cabinet, and already have an Eminence Deltalite 2512 II coming from ebay. I'm tempted to model this cab after the successful Genz-Benz Neox 112T, which is simply a version of the Onken speaker design, and shouldn't be too difficult to construct.

My question is about the tweeter and crossover in such a cab. The Neox has a 100 watt compression bullet tweeter, and a Butterworth 4 kHz crossover. If my amp is supplying 300 watts, what is protecting the tweeter? Is it simply a series resistor making a voltage divider? Seems like a waste of power.

Unlike a piezo, the compression tweeter has a resistive load (8 ohms). How is this wired with the woofer, and how does this load appear to the amplifier? What influence does the crossover have on the load the amplifier sees?

The other option is to use a piezo tweeter array ala BFM, since they are cheap and don't require a crossover. Do I need the same number of piezo tweeters to equal my expected power handling requirements. For instance, I want it to handle 300 watts: is that 6 50-watt piezos? Do I need to include any additional protection elements?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be specific so as not to waste anyone's time.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The crossover will handle the combination of woofer and compression tweeter, so the amp sees the proper impedance across the frequency spectrum.

Tweeters are usually protected with a lamp, which heats up and increases resistance as you push too hard.

The piezos are generally rated in voltage, not watts. You need as many in series as necessary to handle the max voltage across the speaker terminals. At 300w, that's probably about 50v. A pair of 50v-rated piezos in series should be OK. It's rather close to use a single.

You may also prefer a combination of piezos, ala BFM, so you can use series/parallel wiring to get the level you want. Lots of builders use switching arrangements to adjust the piezo level.