1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering a 5, Narrowed down to G&L or RB ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Jan 27, 2003.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I am on the verge of considering the world of 5 strings and have narrowed my selection down to either of these two to GAS over:

Fender Roscoe Beck 5
    G&L L-2500

I've read every review of both on Harmony Central and every post I could find here. They both seem to be excellent basses. I'm leaning towards the RB because I like the passive sound, but then again the G&L can be run in passive and also gets high marks for it's sound. The width at the nut is 1.751" on the G&L and 1.875" on the RB. Doesn't seem significant, but I saw a lot of talk about the "meatiness" of the RB's neck and how many people don't like it.

I currently play a Fender MIA Precision 4 string. The P's neck is "meaty" in it's own right when compared to a jazz. Would this give me a headstart on adjusting to the RB's neck? As of now, I really like both basses with a slight tendency towards the RB, but am worried about that "baseball bat neck". Any insight from someone who has played both would be great as I would have to buy either online and cannot play them locally first. My handsize would be considered "average".

Also, for the RB does anyone have a pic of one in sunburst? Thanks!

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Keep this in mind! I worked at a music store for a long time and found that the g&l basses dont have much resale value! I am not sure wh ythis is? It is a great bass! But seems like even on ebay they dont go for as musch as i would think they would? So you might just keep that in mind. A good question to ask a music store before buying a bass is how much the resale price would be for the bass you r looking at. They hate that!