Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering a 5, Narrowed down to G&L or RB ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Jan 27, 2003.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I am on the verge of considering the world of 5 strings and have narrowed my selection down to either of these two to GAS over:

Fender Roscoe Beck 5
    G&L L-2500

I've read every review of both on Harmony Central and every post I could find here. They both seem to be excellent basses. I'm leaning towards the RB because I like the passive sound, but then again the G&L can be run in passive and also gets high marks for it's sound. The width at the nut is 1.751" on the G&L and 1.875" on the RB. Doesn't seem significant, but I saw a lot of talk about the "meatiness" of the RB's neck and how many people don't like it.

I currently play a Fender MIA Precision 4 string. The P's neck is "meaty" in it's own right when compared to a jazz. Would this give me a headstart on adjusting to the RB's neck? As of now, I really like both basses with a slight tendency towards the RB, but am worried about that "baseball bat neck". Any insight from someone who has played both would be great as I would have to buy either online and cannot play them locally first. My handsize would be considered "average".

Also, for the RB does anyone have a pic of one in sunburst? Thanks!

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Keep this in mind! I worked at a music store for a long time and found that the g&l basses dont have much resale value! I am not sure wh ythis is? It is a great bass! But seems like even on ebay they dont go for as musch as i would think they would? So you might just keep that in mind. A good question to ask a music store before buying a bass is how much the resale price would be for the bass you r looking at. They hate that!