Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering a Fender Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, May 11, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I now play on a 1964 Jazz Bass, on an Eden WT-800 with two Eden 210T cabs.

I am considering getting a Marcus Miller Jazz to get the more 70's feeling sound, and the more Sadowsky'ish sound with it playing active. Of course I will keep the '64 Jazz.

I also think that the sunburst version of the Marcus Miller J-Bass looks just beautiful

So what do you guys think, is it stupid or do I have a point here?

The '64 works for everything, but....... you can never get enough gear, can you? :bassist:

Greetings from Norway,

Hoel

2. If I was in your position, I'd try and get a good shot on the MM bass to be sure this would help you find the sound your looking for! :)

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a MM V. Wonderful instrument. Of course it sounds even better through my new rig. :p

I have always wanted a jazz bass, wanted a 5 string, loved Marcus and his sound so it seemed like a perfect combination. No regrets. Neck feels thin. Sound is great although I run mine in active position almost exclusively. Mine is natural but I have seen pictures of the Olympic WHite version which is stunning.

4. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I ordered one last week. Waiting for FedEx :hyper: I'll let you know how I like it. I'll be playing it through an Eden rig as well.

5. I've played a few Fender Marcus Millers and I've loved them all. On all of them, the build quality was great. It's really the next bass I want to get. I loved the sound...I could get a huge, deep bottom...a killer slap... If it got it, I think it would definitely become my primary bass. As much as I like the natural finish, I almost think I'd go for sunburst if I could get one.

-Nick Park

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I also like this bass, but (there's always some kind of but) I cant dig the 3 bolt neckplate/neckjoint, I dont even like the 4 bolt basses. Riter uses more than 8 bolts on their basses

7. Kyuss80

Kyuss80

May 11, 2004
    Panama City, FL
    I'm new here, but I do know that Marten Mendez from Opeth plays a Fender MM edition.. and I'll just say... he has a really awesome sound. I saw them live in Orlando this past February and he really amazed me. I think that was the final step in inspiring me to want to play a bass... hence why I'm trying to find suggestions on my thread. But I digress... it had a really sweet full sound, and you could hear him great over two other guitarists and drums.

You may not know Opeth -- but I'd suggest at least trying to a download a song.. like "The Drapery Falls" and listen :)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It sounds sillly, but that was something I considered when I was buying my last bass. I ended up getting a P bass instead, but the fact that a MIJ Marcus Miller was used on a few Opeth albums almost turned the tables. :D

9. Kyuss80

Kyuss80

May 11, 2004
    Panama City, FL
    Awesome, Opeth is my favorite band, seeing them in concert was a blast :)

10. I've owned 2 MM 4 Jazz basses. The look of it to me is just STUNNING, thats why I bought the first one. It sounded alright passive and the treble boost in active mode was really thin and horrible... to me again :) I used it with mostly the sadowsky outboard preamp and it came pretty close to the Marcus Miller sound. An offer came and I sold it. I went to a friend's place a week ago to try some of his basses and ended up trading my Thumb 4 Bolton for his Marcus Miller 4 plus a cash top up. The bass just looks too good. Brought it home and realised it sounds just like the previous MM jazz I had. Now it's up for sale again... sigh :meh:

I think the pickups are alright but the preamp is the weakest link. J-retro makes one for this bass now and with that I'm sure it will sound all different.

What I wrote above is only about the Japanese Marcus Miller Jazz 4. I've tried a few American Marcus Miller Jazz 5 and these 2 are worlds apart!

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Marcus Miller Jazz Basses are incredible. They are unbelievable basses at an unbelievably low prices. They get the better sound than all the other massly-produced jazz basses on the market. Thumbs up to the MM!

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    just don't do this:

[​IMG]

13. those are sweet basses, i was considering one as my next bass, but im still not sure. The slap tone is incredible! truly an amazing bass.

14. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You suuuuuuuuuure about that? I have a MM 4 string that I'd be happy to trade ya for that crummy old '64 ;)

15. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks for answering guys. I'll let you know if I buy one. Anyways, I think I'll have some great gear that covers all my sounding needs if I get an MM.

The '64 J-bass and the Eden WT-800 works for everything, but I sometimes miss that hi-tech active sound.

16. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Why don't you use a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp Floor pedal just to give your '64 that extra active boost when it needed ... I used to do this with my old '69 (before I sold everything and just bought a Sadowsky bass :D )!