1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering a G&L, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Mar 13, 2013.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Since I haven't really found an all-encompassing thread on my questions, I gotta make one!

GAS time for me is in the spring. Rightly so, I guess... tax returns, birthday, flowers and birds and all that happy horsepucky :D
    As it happens, I'm in search of another bass. It's not that the 3 I have currently don't fulfill my needs... but there's always room for more! Plus, I'm after something a little less lovable and that can be taken to sketchier gigs.

So up pops a G&L L-2500 on the classifieds that piques my interest. It's priced right, pre-beat up and I feel like it could be a possible candidate.
    However, a few factors keep me exploring more options.
    1) It may sell before my funds can amass for it and I'll have to look at other stuff.
    2) I have very limited experience with G&L and no shops carry it near me.
    3) Other offerings from G&L are also tempting.

The few G&L basses I've played were years ago, but I seem to remember them having rather large frets by comparison to Fender or Musicman. Do they all have kind of large frets?

I have a Musicman and Fender that bookend my tonal spectrum pretty well. The Fender J is super smooth to the point I can't play it in my aggressive projects and the Musicman gets angry, but in a very good way for me. I hear G&L lovers talking about how they embody a bit of both worlds. I can see why! They seem to be right in there.
    Thoughts?

Finally, in the game of "FOREIGN BASS, by US COMPANY DESIGN", I've experienced just about all of them. And while experiences vary for people, one thing remains in my mind: A lot of the copy stuff is cheaper because it's just flat out not as good. In some cases, it's not even a matter of making it better with fretwork, electronics, etc. It's just flat out awful!
    How does the TRIBUTE line stack up? Same story, better than most, "avoid like the plague"?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

The L2500 is a great bass. Frets are medium jumbo, might be slightly wider than Fende frets, don't know. I like them just fine and most of my Fenders have skinny vintage frets. Tributes are a fantastic value, the new ones (not sure what year yours is) have the same pickups as the US models and are great players.

Edit:

Here, this site will tell you everything you need to know: http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/

3. I recieved my G&L M2500 Tribute last week and am VERY haPPY with it. It sounds better than my Spector LEgend. THe 3 baND EQ is very powerful. Through the right amp this bass just growls. Roll off the mids and you get a very nice round tone. All in all I'm very happy with the construction and tone of my M25000. HOpe this f helps.

4. Some G&L models are not available in Tribute versions, like L1500's and ASAT's.

Only US models may sport quartersawn necks and do have plek'd fretboards, also switches and pots seem to be a better quality (or just see less exposure to damp heat). Bridge and PU's are definitely 100% identical (apart from brass saddles in US models).

I own a US L1500 and tribute L2000 and they do compare very well in playability, generall build quality and finish, only in a 1:1 real-time comparison you'll ever note the differences between them. The one notable difference to speak of is in the headstock geometry since the indonesian models use standard tuners with longer / non-conical shafts.

I'd always test-play a tribute in person (like with any bass, that is) to sort out any dud instruments -- I tested several L2K's and not all were as good as the one I finally bought.
    L2K does have a wide fat neck, then again it's a bit less substantial than the #7 neck of my L1500.

All in all, a tribute model sure is best bass overall I could ever imagine to buy for that little money.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yet I'm certain a G&L would serve you well, especially if you mind over a few brief or outa way gigs where just one bass could easily deliver the goods you're in need

I can't talk for USA G&L (yet) but I own both L2000 and L2500 carved top Tributes (the priciest Tributes out there)

Hardware and electronics are just the same, obviously custom option and overall finishings are not
    Other than those, serial/parallel, active/passive options are more than somethin' to consider

I regularly tuned L2000 for my Wild Peas (cover band) needs and placed a Hipshot Bt7 bass extender for a few more tonal flexibility (E/D, A, D, G)
    I full step downtuned L2500 for Nowhere (original material thrash metal band) 'cause I enjoy the sheer power of the bass
    (A, D, G, C, F)

Anyway: if you dig a full throttle assault, a passive and serial dual humbucker attack is somethin' you'll have to get accustomed to
    If you would look for a more modern and versatile approach, an active (or active with treble enhancer) and parallel single alike sound will open a few slap option for you as well:bassist:

No, you won't be disappointed

And I'm still dreamin' before "American Guitar and Band" configurator for a Custom L1505 with my all time favorite spec!

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Rojo, I'm not really qualified to speak on G&L since I've only played a few, but a fretless SB-2 I played for a few minutes in Altanta one year was k-i-l-l-e-r. I was tempted (strongly) to grab it even though I don't play fretless. LOL.

From all I've read the Tributes are a very nice bass.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I can only speak to the Tributes.Mine is a JB2 and I always get compliments on the tone of my bass. It is a great bass, easy to play and definitely holds its own against my American Fenders. I can only image that the USA models are even better.

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That seems to be the consensus. Apparently, people are happier with those than some others.
    It remains to be seen how things turn out for me on the ones I'm after, but I appreciate the good words and advice.

MM and G&L owners (those who have/had both)... what do you think between the "Leo Cousins"?

9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    soulstrapsb1.

mb1.

10. I have a Tribute ASAT guitar and a friend used to have a Tribute L-2000. Both felt great and were easy to set up with nice, low action. They don't have those cheap feeling necks with spiky fret ends like some Squiers, etc. Definitely a notch above most imports!

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All good info! Fretno, great pics!

I know Tributes probably don't get the PLEK, but when did the US stuff start getting that factory?

12. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks man , I love ma SB-1 , it has ss frets and probably the most perfect & lowest action of my herd . Scary how well this thing dials in .:bassist:

13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    dammit!!..quit posting that awesome set of photos!...:D

14. I love both of my G&L Tributes (L-2000 and SB-2). The L-2000 is my bass when I play metal. The SB-2 is my bass when I play punk rock.

The only thing "foreign" about them (to me, anyway) are the frets and fretboard. A little sharp and not quite as smooth or refined as the USAs from what I've played. Electronics are identical. Bridge and tuners on the Tributes are good as well.

I may one day spring for a USA just to have one, but really... I could live with the Tributes for the rest of my playing days.

15. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    :ninja:

16. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I absolutely loved my L2000E- I only sold it, in part, because of the weight and my bad shoulder- but not all G&L are that heavy. I have a friend who is a G&L dealer, and he lets me play everything in the store-both guitars and basses. The Tributes are a really great bargain- that being said,the quality and setup on the domestic models is uniformly excellent(maybe in part, because they're plek'd). Great instruments!

17. I chose G&L over Music Man because I ordered my L-1505 with the options that I like. MM would have put me through a hassle to place such an order. You'll need to try them both.

18. I love my '07 L-2000 with jazz profile neck and '81 L-1000 (under construction) with a sorta p-bass neck. The L-2000 is absolutely the nicest built bass I have held. If you have the money to buy a custom L-2500 it can be ordered with vintage style frets.

I've heard a lot of good about the Tributes and will be getting one eventually but couldn't you have the jumbo frets filed to your specs?

19. glutah

glutah

Nov 5, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Do it. I own many fenders and g and ls. The g and ls are so much better built and more versatile.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the l2k and sb2 i have are so loud acoustically that i regularly just practice with them around the house with no amplification