1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering a herd culling...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfenstein666, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Warning : Lengthy Post

I've acquired a pretty sweet collection of basses over the years. I have 5 now, and they all have their own merits and sounds. I've worked really hard and saved up to buy each one, and have enjoyed all of them. However...

I've become dissatisfied.

Not so much with my bass collection, but just with a lot of aspects in my life in general (won't go into great detail on that here). The more I look at acquiring stuff (not just basses) but just stuff in general...I'm starting to realize that it's exactly that : Just stuff. And then the hunt continues for that next great thing. And once you have that, it goes on, and on, and on...

I recently saw this guy talking about stripping down your life a bit, and how it can alleviate stress and free up some mental capacity. He said "I don't have much stuff, but everything that I own means something to me". That resonated with me, because I can look at myself and see that I love the acquisition of stuff. That scares me, because I want to learn how to be content with what I have. I want to shift my focus from the acquisition to the tangible enjoyment of the item.

And this all falls hand in hand with the fact that I'm planning a significant move (out of state) in the next year or so. It won't all be coming with me anyway, so I figure now is a fine time to start unloading some of this stuff.

I've come to respect the opinions voiced on TB, so I'm asking for people to voice theirs on my 'scenario' for lack of a better term. I have an MIA P, a RIC 4003, Geddy Lee Jazz (MIM), Ibanez Prestige and an unknown Alvarez. I figure I'll keep the P and the RIC. I'm a gigging musician so I figure I should have 2 in case of emergency. The Ibanez has some sentimental value, but I can't justify lugging it around wiht me forever and ever.

Has anyone culled their herd significantly before? Did it have a long term effect on the GAS level? Is it worth it? Should I keep a different combo of basses? Just looking for some advice and insight on the situation.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Oh, man....are you in luck!

Everything you just wrote about, I did about 6 years ago...

In 2010, I had 4 or 5 basses, an SVT Full Stack, my BX500/2-12 mini stack, a 1980 Camaro on which I did a ground-up restoration/modification, a 1989 Harley Sportster that I chopped...and a bunch of other stuff.

My wife got her Masters Degree and we planned a move from NYC to D.C. We moved in late 2011, but in the mean time, I sold the Camaro to a guy in Melbourne, AU; shipped it in March 2011. I needed to cull the herd for the move, but it wasn't so easy. After the move, I still went back to NYC often and I was able to sell the Harley to a guy in Brooklyn. I sold the SVT to a kid from PA while I liven in MD for an interim of 6 months. The SWR cabs I left with my brother, but we have since fallen out and I haven't spoken to him in 5 years...I don't know where the cabs are at this point.
    I wound up selling one bass here on TB, then sold my '94 Stingray to a guy from Hagerstown, MD. I left my '97 L2500 and Dean Sledgehammer 5, and kept the BX500 and two 12" cabs.
    I feel somewhat liberated from owning all that crap, really; especially from the car and bike. Yeah, they were really sweet, but I spent entirely too much time and money on them.

But 6 years after the move, we're still struggling a bit, my 12" cabs are in a storage closet, no room to play my basses in my tiny 700 sq.ft. Apartment...

I did acquire a Squier VMJV because I always wanted one. I would like to one day get another "good" bass and sell off the cheapies, and stay with the G&L and whichever other "good" one I get.

But as far as "stuff", I don't need another hot rod or motorcycle; and have absolutely no desire to get them. Don't need an SVT and full stack, either. If I ever play out again, I'm sure the BX500 mini stack will be plenty for whatever kind of event that would be.

I did however buy a pretty sweet carbon-fiber road bike...gotta exercise...

BlueMINI, +6dB Dan and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  3. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    This is funny, because NYC is one of the top contenders for future homes for me.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    NYC proper, or "in the area"?
    If you're looking for a home in NYC proper, then you and I are not really in the same boat...
    I lived in Brooklyn (Greenpoint/Williamsburg...the now hippest place on earth), and housing in that area, as slummy and $hitty as it was, is ridiculous.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

5 basses for a gigging musician is far from being unreasonable, especially models as different as yours.
    Now if you can do with less, do it it is all fine.

leonard likes this.
  6. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Area. Astoria, most likely.

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Of those you have the two you chose to keep would be the same as I would choose.
    IMHO, if you can't do it with a Ric or a P, it probably can't be done. In addition, those will hold their value better than the others. The decision is done. Now, the challenge is the follow through. Unfortunately for me, this is where the rationalization usually kicks in. I hope you are stronger than I.

woodyng2 likes this.
  8. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I'd tend to agree, but 9/10 times I go for the Ricky no matter what. It is without a doubt my primary bass.

woodyng2 and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    My rationalization for getting the basses in the first place is now my rationalization for getting rid of them. "I'll use them all" or "I need that bass". Well, as it turns out I normally only use the P or the Ric anyway.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I went to HS in Astoria...still a nice area to this day... OT sure of housing prices there, but I wouldn't mind living there if I went back to NYC.

Wolfenstein666 likes this.
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm going through a similar process. Kids gone, huge house....too much stuff. I started playing guitar then moved to drums for about 10 years as my main, then bass about 10 years ago took over. So I had 4 drum sets, a plethora of cymbals, several(?) guitars and amps, 7 or so basses and amps.

I've given away 1 drum set and 15 or so cymbals.
    I've given away 2 basses but one found it's way back to me already.
    I've sold one guitar amp and some drum hardware.
    Couple other amps, a few guitars, couple basses, some orphan drums and more cymbals up for sale or in process of getting up for sale. I'm coming to terms with selling or giving away another drum set.

I'll end up keeping a couple acoustic guitars (giving up on electrics), 5 basses (I think that's the perfect number for me) and one drum kit/cymbal set.
    No regrets. Do it.

BlueMINI and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Oh, and as a matter of which basses to keep...

I never played a Ric, and am partial to Jazz basses, but I would keep the MiA basses.
    I'm still kicking myself for selling the Stingray, but I really needed the $850 I got for it, and I never really played it any more...I play 5's strictly; I find them easier to ply for some reason...

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm working hard on getting down to 5. I've donated a bunch of instruments, but as the herd gets smaller, they just seem to argue harder to stay.

BlueMINI likes this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I'd do the same, keep the Precision and the Ric.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    MIA P - never worked for me personally but probably a good keeper for most players
    RIC 4003 - had a few a few years back, but if I were reducing I'd sell it
    Geddy Lee Jazz (MIM) - love these and they can cover a lot of ground and maybe all you'd need
    Ibanez Prestige - not a fan, sell it
    Unknown Alvarez - sell it

16. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    NYC is a lot more than just Manhattan. Astoria and Williamsburg are both in NYC proper.

sigmafloyd likes this.
  17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Hhhmmmm....No kidding...
    lived there for 37 years and I learned that just today...
    :meh:

When I asked "in the area" I meant White Plains or somewhere 30min out...

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are happy with the Ric, keep it - I hear lots of how inconsistent they are.

You can't go wrong with either a P or J - keep whichever you play more.

What emotional value does the Ibanez have - your first bass? The question on the Ibby and the Alvarez is what can you get for them?

19. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I had a finish issue with my RIC that they fixed. Since then, zero problems. It's a rock solid, great sounding bass.

Probably the P at this point. The Geddy is nice, but you can tell the difference in build quality from the MIM to MIA after dozens of hours on each. The MIA is a nicer bass all the way around.

That's the killer with those 2. I'd take a hosing on the Ibanez. It's still fully functional, but it's been played a lot and it shows. With these two I'd probably be better off gifting them to a friend who I know would take care of them, or selling them at an extreme discount to someone close to me who'd use it. Selling them outright either here or on CL would result in a loss of value equal to half.

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As it should be... Good job, Wolfee!