1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

considering a job offer in Florida

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by marcray, Aug 20, 2007.

1. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    anyone know anything about the South Palm Beach, Lake Worth, area in Florida? I've been offered a great job where I'd be working in Manalapan. Coming from where I'm from it appears to be like Paradise but does anyone know what it's like? Howabout the schools? I can live wherever I want and they'll move me and pay all my expenses so I'm looking for info on the surrounding area. My wife is Finnish and there's some Finnish business and communities in Lantana and Lake Worth so she's almost sold.

I've been to Miami many times, Fort Lauderdale, stayed in Coral Springs for a month, but never this area... anyone?

2. Just what we need another new yourker moving to Florida. Just kidding, I did that 18 yrs ago. I live in Boca Raton. Its about 30 minutes from Lake Worth. While I am not that familiar with Lake Worth/Lantana there are good areas and bad areas. Schools in general are not great. My area is known for good schools. (they better be, my taxes are very high) Still, most kids from my neighborhood go to private school.

Your best bet is to come on down and check it out. You have a lot of options open to you in terms of housing.

3. I hope you newyawkas can handle the climate :) You'll be checked at the border :p

My wife has family there. They're retired and live in a NICE gated community. I haven't been through that area in at least 5 years. It will be a change for sure.

4. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    thanks for the info... should be coming down in a couple of weeks to check it out... hey coming from where I'm from, (Croydon, England), it certainly looks great... I was thinking about the private school option, it maybe the thing to do...

5. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Look at the Wellington area. It's west of Lake Worth and the public shools there are highly rated. I lived there for three years and my wife and I were very happy there.

Try searching zipcode 33414 on realtor.com for some housing options. You'll want to look at houses in the actual "Village of Wellington". Some builders built outside of the area and capitalized on the area's reputation, but you won't be zoned for the great schools.

Lake Worth is pretty sketchy in areas and they have there own power company. Outrageous prices and bad service.

Jaco's bass tech back in the day and has a small shop in downtown West Palm. Kaufman-Danzer instruments.

Good Luck!

6. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

I'm in Palm Beach Gardens, my parents live in Palm Beach, send me a PM if you like. Schools are for yourself or your kids?

7. JimS

JimS Supporting Member

I lived there from 1995 until 2003 in Boca Raton and practiced in Ft Lauderdale, Delray Beach, and West Palm Beach.

Hot women....OMFG!
    Great beaches
    Crystal clear wate rthat's warm
    Good restaurants
    Upcoming bar scenes with gigs are more frequent now
    Good scuba and fishing

Uncomfortably hot April-Oct
    Humidity redefined
    In winter lots of old people* and major crowding
    Lots of rain esp in summer
    Flat
    Lots of traffic
    Mosquitoes that'll eat you alive if you are more than 5 mi west of the ocean
    No snow skiing

* I don't have anything against them but when you have a LOT of people aged 85-100 driving around, it's quite scary.