Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

considering a moogerfooger... advice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spots, Dec 24, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Lately, I've been looking into the Moogerfooger line of effects pedals specifically the MF-101 lowpass filter. From what I gleaned from searching this site as well as others, its a versatile pedal with the ability to connect up to four expression pedals. I've also heard that the MF-101 doesn't have a "true bypass", that it hinders the tone in bypass operation. Anyone have any comments on that?
    I'm looking for the "Bootsy sound", almost like a mini moog. Think the bassline in PFunk's "Flash light." Would the moogerfooger be a good choice to emulate that sound?

Also
    To those who own the pedal, How many expression pedals do you have hooked up to your moogerfooger and what parameters do they tweak(what jacks are they plugged into) and why?

Thanks for the help
    ~spots

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Had a MF101 for a few years, never got too deep with it, figured out what I needed to get it to what I wanted pretty quick. Mine sometimes brings in a little hum, not too bad though. the 2-4 pole switch is more of a "quiet-too noisy" switch, though I cant ATM recall which was which.

Tried up to 3 pedals at once, but I find the most useful one is the cutoff. It can be used as a sort of wah pedal, or like a tome knob that rolls off the highs. The others seemed to me to be too much for a live situation, unless you were into experimental strange noise type of stuff. Then the resonance pedal could come in handy. Usually just set the knobs where I think they sound best and use the cutoff pedal. Can't comment on the exact sound you're after, not familiar with it, but it's certainly quite different from a Q-tron or Mutron.

As for the bypass thing, it's true that just plugging into the MF101 alters your tone, even when bypassed via the footswitch on the unit. The input level control is also always active. However, if you like the sort of thing it does, you may very well also like the slight change it makes in your tone. I've taken to leaving mine in the signal path, even when I don't use it, because I like how it colors my tone. Stopped playing the song I'd been using it for and tried to remove the MF101 to save space, but found I wanted to keep it in for the tone. It's also nice to be able to get a bright twangy sound for one song, then use the pedal to cut my highs for a muddy vintage sound instantly.

3. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    Those are as funky as it gets. I like it better than the Mutron. :eek:

4. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    The M-foofger LP filter is a cool pedal and I could get great sounds out of it but there were things that just didn't work for me from a practical perspective. It was noisy, Had a huge adaptor that couldn't be substituted by anything else and finally, It took up a lot of real estate on my board. I love Moog stuff and I've had Ring Modulators and all kinds of other stuff but they are all gone for these same reasons. If you are looking for a piece of studio gear, this wouldn't factor in as it really sounds nice if you learn to use it correctly (there is a learning curve - especially with the e-pedal)

If you want a really good quality analog filter (I've collected almost ALL of them over the years) that you can really use in a great set-and-forget way, I would suggest the Maxon reissue version of the AF-9 filter (not the original Ibanez AF-9 - still a great pedal but the Maxon has some minor improvements). It's true bypass (silent and non tone altering like so many other effects when not switched), small (boss size), built like a tank, runs on any standard 9 v adaptor and is greasier than a Mu-Tron but more controllable (same parameters as a mutron) About 179.00 new and you probably wont find one used but easily worth it if you ask me. If you can try before you buy, that's ideal obviously.

BTW, I'm from a traditional school of sounds and play all passive basses. I like to get traditional synth and filter tones (think moog tones in Airs "moon safari" or stevie wonders key sound in superstition) so my opinion is based upon these factors. I have a Lovetone Meatball too but I spend more time playing with sounds than playing music with it. Another cool pedal but complete overkill. I would stay away from pedals that offer so many options that your sound changes when you enter a different room and you can't get it back (Meatball, EH bass Microsynth etc.) Fun toys but much less usable in a practical way.

My synth loops (To acheive supreme MOOGishness) always have an auto filter (AF-9), an octaver (EBS Octabass is great and small), and a distortion (currently using a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz). Black Cat=>Octabass=>AF-9 I also have a very subtle overdrive after both my affected and unaffected signals to add a little dirt (almost unnoticable) =>Fulltone Bassdrive.

It's this recipe of pedals that gets the Moog tones for me though. Not just any one. Pedals that have all these parameters (EH Bass Micro Synth) can be cool too but certainly don't really do all these different things very well.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have no experience with this pedal, but I wanted to let you know that it's relatively easy to mod a pedal like that to true bypass. Fulltone sells a switch for $14 that is perfect for stuff like that.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I finally got to try a Microsynth recently.

I was fairly dissapointed in the example I played with. It was noisy, and the the apparently preset gate kept kicking in and out unexpectedly. I could get a couple good sounds out of it, but overall, nothing amazing. ..and I couldn't seem to get a decent 'regular' envelope filter sound out of it (like with the octaves and the fuzz knobs turned down)

Joe

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Thanks to this thread and some Google searching, I now have GAS for a Moogerfooger MF-101. :spit: :smug:

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Microsynth takes some practice to get a good sound out of it. Once you figure it out, it become alot of fun!

Also, there's no gate and no envelope filter in there. You can't get a "regular" envelope filter with this guy. Sometimes the synth will give certain characteristics of a gate, when the note stops triggering the unit and the note dies. But it's not truly a gate.

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Very nice summary, prismacolor... I do something similar, tho' my signal path goes for a similar effect is Bassdrive > Octabass > EBS BassIQ. Gotta look into the Maxon AF-9 too.