1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering a slight "scale down"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I use a GK 700rbII which is 480 watts @4 ohms. I have no need to play loud onstage as I have good PA support all the time. I play a 4 string bass and love the tone of my Avatar B210 cab which is rated at 500 watts. I actually like it better than my 212 which to me overpowers the b210 a little. So I am thinking of selling my B212 and replacing it w/ an Avatar 112, rated at 250 watts. That way I still have the lows, but not quite as much as the b212, and trade a 56 lb. cab for a 39lb. cab. I would probably never give either cab more than 200 watts. What do you guys think?

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think I might go for a single 15" with some deeper lows instead. The 2x10" can usually benefit from a good low end kick in the groin. And while a single 12" can add some extra depth, you're going to miss the bigger cab since you're already used to a 2x12". So I'd say split the weight and size difference and get a 15" if you want to go single speaker for the bottom.

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    You'll lose some volume going from a 212 to a 112. I'd either go with a 115 or a 2x10, depending on what you are looking for as far as tone.

If you really like the Avatar 210 that much, then why not just trade the 212 for a second 210? Punch city, baby!

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Loosing volume is not a problem. With my rig now, the highest I have ever played at a gig was on about 11:00, Normally about 10:00. because my rig is for stage volume only. We run 4-600 watt 15 " mains, and 2-800 watt subs for FOH sound. My DI gets me out front just fine. I was just trying to lighten up my rig and loose just a little of the boominess of the 212