1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering a Tribute L2000

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Mesmerize-16, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    Hey all, a local shop deals almost exclusively in G&L and I'm considering getting a Tribute L2000. I saw a video of it on youtube (the guy was going through all the different tones you can get out of it) and was mesmerized...I mainly play rock but I would like a bass that can play almost anything from rock to reggae to funk to jazz. What I really like is that growling, bass-heavy tone that you can get out of a Fender Jazz. Is it possible to get that out of a Tribute L2k?

As to why I don't just get a Jazz; it seems to me the G&L basses at the same pricepoint as a mexican jazz have better quality. You can also get a much wider variety of tones out of the two humbuckers than you can out of the Jbass pickups.

2. Yeah, you can get a J-ish sound, a Ray-ish sound, a P thing and some other stuff besides. Ultimate versatility can be yours for this one low low price!

3. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    Ive had a l2000 tribby for about half a year now, and I still cant resist playing it every day.
    This bass is very versatile. If you want bass heavy tone, running both MFD humbuckers with no cut in bass should do it ;) (these basses only features bass and treble cut, no boost, because the pickups are so hot)

The best thing about my tribby L2000 is the build quality. The local music store has a whole bunch of basses, but most of them seem flimsy after playing the L2000. Only the musicman and warwick basses there feel as great and solid, and they all cost at least as much as a tribute g&l

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Lucky you ! to have your local store dealing in G&L's. You wont be disappointed with the L 2000 Trib. The Trib neck comes in only one size ( 1.75" at the nut ). You also mentioned a Jazz bass, so you could take a look at the Trib. JB2. I have both. They are very different from each other but the JB2 is also a lovely bass, though not near as versatile sounding as the L 2000.

5. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I've got a trib L2500 (so essentially the same beast as the L2K) and I've got a jazz. You can certainly dial in a J-ish tone on the G&L, but I've never been able to nail it exactly. Same with the Precision and Ray tones. That said, I have gotten close enough to that J growl that I put flats on my real jazz for a different sound.

The money spot for the L2k (IMHO) is parallel, both pickups, active.

The L2k is the most versatile bass on the market in that price range that still retains it's own character. Some basses are good clones, the L2k is that, but it also adds a bit of its own flavor.

6. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    so how should I set the tone/active EQ to achieve this Jazz-like growl? and how much EQ'ing is necessary on the amp for this? do you need a graphic equalizer for that?

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Graphic equalizer? no... Some patience, yes.

Jazz basses are wired in parallel, so start with the middle switch down. They're also generally passive, so the bridge switch needs to be down as well. Back off of the bass and treble about 20%. The pickups switch is a different matter. Since a J bass has two single coils in sort of the same position, you could run both pickups, but if you want that Jaco sort of sound switch to the bridge pup. A deeper growl? Solo the neck pup.

Also, I generally run my amp EQ pretty flat.

Hope that gets you moving in the right direction.

(Series/neck/passive for a P, and the Parallel/both/active for a ray)

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Tributes are the best basses for the money period . I've had a few and they sound great!!!
    Danny.

9. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Its just too bad the Tribs don't have the #8 neck option. I still think my Sterling has the best neck out there, but the #8 on my USA SB-2 is right up there neck & neck with it (pun intended :D )!

10. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    the #8 neck option? is that a size?

and seeing as i can order the trib to whatever standard i like, should i swap anything out? change a pickup, different neck, add a control?

11. #6 is 1.75, #8 is 1.5 or so I believe.
    The best thing about tribs is that there is absolutely no need to change anything!

12. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    so necks get smaller as the number goes up then? does anyone know what size a fender jazz neck is?

13. Jazz neck is 1.5 or #8 on G&L scale.