Considering a vintage tube rig trade...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Nov 11, 2018.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've got a rad Ampeg v4b that dates back to the 70's, on top of a (late 90s?) 410 with the tilt back roll bar on it, that I'm considering offering up as some kind of swap for this dude's Plush head and 215 that I've been getting to play recently as it's temporarily included in band #2s paid per session space.

I believe the Plush is a guitar head, but just sounds MASSIVE with the 2x15, even tho the reverb wires look to be dangling in the back, and who knows what else a tech would find (as I'm certainly not qualified to give it a thorough going over.)

The thing is, the owner of the Plush left town over a year ago to sort out some personal problems, and I was told by its babysitter (who rents us that space with it) that he may be rolling into town and taking it with him this week

I've becomed quite attached to it, and the idea just crossed my little mind to maybe offer up some kind of head with cab trade. Not sure who benefits more or if it's near even, if that were an option to throw at him when the time comes.

I don't have pics of the Ampeg setup on this new phone, but I can eventually dig some up with the specs. Here's the Plush with my bass, tho. I've also got more close ups from the rear and all angles showing all cosmetic flaws that I also need to dig for in the archives, but they're nothing major for its age. >

20180827_194642.jpg 20180827_195012.jpg

Would that be a silly trade on my part just knowing the facts so far? Would either of us need to add a little cash to make it more fair?

The v4b is great, but this thing has been really stealing my heart and ears lately.

All thoughts thus far are welcome!

2. If I liked the tone better, and needed the extra power, I'd do it. I've never played one of those tho, .... 200w is 50x as good as 100w tho!

(Especially "tube watts) :woot:

3. Have you tried plugging your V4-B into the plush cab? The V4-B will probably put out a little more power than the Plush, they're rated the same (100 watts), if the Plush is louder it may be because guitar heads will sometimes sound louder than a bass head because they are more middy.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'd ask for at least a few hundred bucks in a swap scenario unless the 15s are something special, which they don't really look to be. But it's always really hard to say without actually hearing both rigs. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

5. I thought the Plush amps were 200w from the 4 6550s. I think I saw in there?
    Edit...
    6L6, thanks guys.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  6. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    keep the ampeg

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Nope. It's a Dual Showman/Twin Reverb knockoff by all accounts.

bobyoung53 and rodl2005 like this.
  8. rodl2005 likes this.

9. One more thing, you can change out the 7027A's for 6550's in your V4-B and get I think 20 more watts out of it, although they will draw more power for the filaments, @beans-on-toast knows more about it than me.

10. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks everybody for chiming in. Turns out moot cuz earlier the same day I posted this he had already been there and gone, and so was the Plush :bawl: Was told he wouldn't have bit anyway since that thing had some kind of major sentimental value attached.

I know it was technically a guitar head. Perhaps the 2x15 made the difference, but from the first time I plugged into it I was blown away at how meaty beaty big and bouncy those notes were! They got even louder and phatter if I plugged into one of those bottom 2 inputs (still not sure what makes that so.)

I especially liked the suggestion of plugging my V4b into the 2x15 to properly A/B them and see how much of the diff that configuration made, but that ship has sailed and gone down the tubes :sorry:

Although it was a brief love affair and we were torn apart all too soon, I at least have those glorious memories and pictures to prove it :snaphappy:

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It was an available upgrade at the time. There were no changes electronically, it was plug and play, the kit comprised of the 6550’s and a new set of tube retainers.

I would upgrade the screen resistors to 1K ohms and rebias if necessary.

The problem is, the amp runs super hot with the standard tubes in place, pumping out more power will generate even more heat.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Too bad. It was a long shot anyway.

You can always look for one on reverb or ebay.

13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Maybe you just prefer the Fender sound to the Ampeg one. Old Bassman heads are pretty easy to find around the Pacific Northwet. Maybe not as cool looking as the Plush for your taste, but much better build quality IMO and IME. Yel_wink.gif

14. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thx for your expertise and consolation, Beans.

I was re-reading a bunch of your super informative posts in the Ampeg V4 Club just yesterday.

You mean a Fender? I think I've heard of them somewhere ;) but this talk of it being a Bassman clone is blowing my mind! Can you elaborate on which exact model/config you say would get it there??

You are 100% correct in that the sweet lookin tuck-n-roll is right up my alley... and I've seen them in purple, blue, and red sparkle :wideyed: I honestly don't think I could hang in brown town.

I always appreciate your helpful input too, Charlie!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Keep the v4b. Plush is cool but can be had for way less than a v4. The matching cab is a bit rarer to find though. Fwiw the Plush is also 100w and IIRC more or less a clone of a Fender Showman.

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    If you don't need or want the reverb circuit: Silverface Bassman 100, or Silverface Dual Showman. Won't be identical, but pretty danged close. If you want the verb then SF Twin Reverb or Dual Showman Reverb. Plush cheaped out on a few things and you just might prefer what that brings. Personally, I prefer the Silverface Bassman 135 as a stand alone amp, but I am more about the clean bass for the most part. For me as a player all of these things are more like guitar amps, or noise toys that work great in a clean/dirty bass rig. Which is something I intend to get into fully in the next few months. Yel_wink.gif

FWIW, over the years I've worked on thousands of Fenders and about half a dozen Ampeg tube amps. @beans-on-toast is your go-to here on TB for Ampegs, for sure.

catcauphonic and beans-on-toast like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021