Considering a Warwick...have some questions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Jun 12, 2005.

1. I've been considering getting a Warwick for a few months now. Every time I go into GC I end up plugging in a Corvette Standard 5 string and loving it! I tend to use a lot of bridge growl in my tone and the 'wick tone would suit my style and tone requirements very well.

What I'd like to know is:

Is there anything bad about the brand (ie - company has been bought out and quality is slipping, etc)? The quality on the Corvette and other Warwicks I see at GC seems to be great. Also, if that is the case, is there a certain year that I should try to buy used?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    1997-1998 was a transitional year for Warwick as they switched from all wenge necks to ovangkol necks with wenge fingerboards. The ovangkol necks have chunkier profiles than the wenge necks. Also, the brass just-a-nut was replaced by a graphite just-a-nut and strap buttons replaced flush-mounted straplocks as standard equipment. And they're not any cheaper.

As far as quality goes, Warwick is generally good, but some specimens are better than others. Like any factory bass produced in high/high-ish volume, you're bound to come across a few lemons, some exquisites, and most in the middle. Many say that there has been a drop in quality since those transitional years (1997-1998), but there are also those who'll say there was a slight drop in quality from the early 1990s to the mid 1990s, as Warwick started doing fewer things by hand.

Hence, most people here at TB would recommend buying a used pre-1997 Warwick.

Heck, I think for ANY Warwick, it's better to buy used. For the price of a new Warwick, I could get a handmade/custom bass from guys like Bud LeCompte, JJ Helms, Kinal, Nordstrand, Matt Pulcinella, etc. But used 'wicks IMO are a lot of bass for the money. I bought a 1997 Corvette Standard used (from a fellow TBer) at a honey of a price and it's more bass for the money than I could hope for.
  3. Warwicks are well built IMO and sound great. I got rid of my Thumb B/O 4 because of it's neck-dive and the longer reach to the first position. The Corvette has a longer upper horn and may weigh less.

Try it several times with a strap for at least a 1/2 hour first. You'll know then if it's going to be a problem ergonamically.

My $0.02
  4. Thanks for the information - I'm planning on buying used (Warwicks seem to be in decent supply used, and at good prices :)). I've heard about the supposed "limited" tonal options you get from Warwick basses. The Corvette seems to be a pretty versatile bass that still keeps the Warwick growl that I love...any comments? :)
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. My Corvette's tones can go from roaring rock to deep dub, while always retaining that Warwick growl. I tried a newer Thumb 5 in a music store, and I felt I could get a lot of usable tones from it. I much prefer the tone of my Corvette, though. Not quite as muddy.

And one can always vary the tones with their fingers.

And Thumbs don't balance all that badly if you wear them around chest height, for optimal slapping position. The concave back is designed to fit over a chest and the short upper horn won't poke your nipple. And the neck does dive a bit so you're not reaching super far upward to fret.

I love the way my Corvette balances (though the bubinga body and all-wenge neck make it a tad heavy), but I think the best Warwick shape for balance is the Fortress with that huge upper horn. Warwick discontinued the Fortress from their German line, but any German Fortress you get is pre-97/98 so they have the all wenge necks and brass nuts.

My Corvette's neck does dive a bit more than my Soundgear's neck (which has almost no dive), but I can pull some slap and thumbstyle lines faster and more smoothly on the 'wick because of its slightly more horizontal stance. And, yes, my 'vette has a wicked slap tone. I'm hardly a slapper and even *I* sound good slapping it.

And if you comb the TalkBass classifieds, you'll most certainly find a good value Warwick, perhaps even from someone reasonably close to you.

Best of luck in your Warwick hunt.
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The dolphin pro 1 has the best balance and a huge retail price too like any other NT wick.

back to the main stream:
    The corvette is a good bass if not a great bass price-value thats why there are many bassist in uerope using them they also fit in almost any style.
    You should also be aware of where u buy your vette, some stores might give u a good deal and get u a nice looking one and some other might just give you the worst setuped and plainest grain looking one.
  7. punch5

Aug 23, 2004
    Hutto, Texas
    I just got a used Corvette FNA Jazzman, which has a tremendous range of tonal options, which I'll need the next several weeks to fully explore!! Definitely not "limited".