1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering An Ampeg Need Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ren335, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Ren335

Ren335

Nov 28, 2018
    So I've been interested in buying an ampeg for a while now due to many recommendations. I have a Rickenbacker 4003, but I'm not sure what models to consider. People said buy a vintage, but of what? Let us say money is no problem at all here. I mainly play indie rock and hard rock. Any advice?

4-fingers likes this.
  2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If I had a blank check and the desire to get good Ampeg oriented advice on how to spend it, JimmyM would be my first call.

Ren335 likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If money is not an issue, buy new. The amp will come with a warranty and you won’t have to deal with fixing whatever issues come with a used model.

Which amp you choose depends on your needs. Check out http://www.ampeg.com.

Ren335 and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Money and transportation are no issue - SVT-VR and a heritage 8x10.

Money and transportation are bigger issues than you thought - V4B reissue and a 212AV.

Somewhere in the middle - V4B and Heritage 8x10.

Ren335 and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Yup, Ampeg SVT and fridge 8x 10 (or two:bassist:). I own vintage (70's SVT's) and they sound great and could fall out of a plane and still work. Could be the last amp you'll ever need to buy. They are the benchmark to which all other bass amps are compared and have been for 49 years, I've never tried a new one, an SVT-VR, but lots of people here love them and they're supposed to be duplicates of the old ones.

Ren335 and Wilson Kessel like this.
  6. Money s no object? SVT Heritage amp and 8 10 cab. Want the same basic set up for less money? SVT Classic head and 8 10 cab. This is a personal opinion and I'm sure some folks will disagree with me and that's OK but I think the Classic amps will do anything the VR s will do for a cheaper price and you can get a bit grindier at slightly lower volumes with the Classic rigs.
    Want a bit lighter weight and don't need stadium volumes? Get a PF 500 or a PF 800 and a 2 12 cab.
    Still gotta have that tube sound but don't need all that power? More volume?.....a V4B and just about any 8 10. A little less volume?....A V4B and a 2 12.
    The opinions expressed above are by a crazy dude that wears hats on stage and should all be taken with a grain of salt.:thumbsup:

Ren335 and dbbltime like this.