1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering an MP Jaguar, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Aug 25, 2012.

1. First off, I have always loved the Jaguar design; my very first bass in '65 was a Crown-Jaguar knockoff. So, when the Fender Jags came out some years ago, I was among the first to buy one. Beautiful bass! But, I had endless shielding issues, swtch problems, and noisy electronics. I fixed everything, albeit expensively, but eventually sold it. I was thrilled to see the new Modern Player Jag (I would love the Squier, but am not a short-scale person) but now have reservations. The threads seem mostly positive, but I'd love to hear from some owners who may not have posted as yet. I play classic rock, blues, and oldies in a ten-piece girls and horn band, for which I usually play my Stingray or Fender P. Someone convince me to leap back into the Jaguars jaws again!

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously... just buy it. The MP Jag would be a fantastic bass at any price and it's a steal at under $400.
    You won't have any of the regrets you had with the electrics on your previous Jaguar.
    BTW, Squier does make a 34" scale Jaguar version that plays extremely well for well for under 200 bucks. It even comes with active electronics for that price. I have one and love it!

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi,

I recently picked up one used from Guitar Center online. It weighs 9 lbs. It feels a whole lot like a Geddy Lee with the same sort of thicker, glossy, slick finish on the body and neck, but the neck is definitely thicker, which I like. It feels very solid and is very attractive.

There is a lot of adjustment available in the truss, which is very stable so far. The frets are smooth and I don't get any buzzes. I am using DiAddario Ultra Light Chromes (ECB80 .040 - .095) and think they are a very good combination with this bass.

The stock pickups have a very good tone, of course the bridge J hums when soloed and is slight lower in output than the P. This matches other P/J basses I've owned.

The bridge is very good, the tuners are okay. The original pots/knobs are pretty cheap feeling and the nut was not well cut and caused the notes to be choked a little.

I've replaced the nut with a Tusq nut (had to flatten the bottom of that nut, because the MP Jag's channel is cut flat) it made a big difference and resolved that issue.

I had a DP148 DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickup (bridge length) in a drawer, that I replaced the stock bridge pickup with. It's humbucking and dropped right in. It's a very good match with the stock P pickup and no hum.

I also put a stacked knob control plate in the Jag, this wasn't essential but I've found I really like the options this gives me for blending those two different pickups. I think this is a good mod for any P/J bass. I got mine from Stigler Music http://www.siglermusiconline.com/st...s-Loaded-Concentric-Control-Plate-83p5420.htm.

I've also changed to a black pickguard. I got it from WD Music, it's a "JGB-1003" made specifically for the Modern Player Jaguar. It was $29.99 plus shipping and fit perfectly.

So, with those changes I think it's an absolutely amazing bass, and an excellent value for the price.

I think you'll be very happy with MP Jaguar and I don't think mine will be going anywhere for a long while.

Bob

4. Bobster, thanks for the detailed comments. I am going to go ahead asap; it's on sale now, but I think the Labor Day sales at MF will be equal if not better. The pickguard info is esecially helpful, as are the mods you recommended. Thanks again!

5. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Very cool! I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

One word of warning... If you replace the nut, be sure to deeply score the finish around the current nut. It's very thick and feels likely to pull if you're not careful.

Otherwise, everything should be pretty easy.

6. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    This mp jag is a beautiful lnstrument! Play it for 5 minutes and you will have to have it!