1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering Audere pre-amp for Fender 64 Custom Shop Jazz Relic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drobinsn, Mar 12, 2008.

1. drobinsn

drobinsn Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    :eyebrow:Anyone had any experience with the Audere pre-amp in a good old passive jazz bass. I just want to make this bass a better sounding player. I already have a 1982 '62 reissuue jazz with vintgage EMG's and their smiley face EQ boost. Can I expect any more versatility, different tone etc. I do not want to change the pickups in the relic jazz. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

DR

2. why????

you bought the wrong bass bro. a passive jazz is meant to be plugged in and played, that's it.

if you want an onboard eq, sell your jazz and get a Nordy VJ with an Audere.

don't ruin a great fender custom shop like that.

3. Hey c'mon now, while I see your point on not putting electronics in vintage passive instruments, putting an Audere in an otherwise passive Jazz is far from ruining it.

FWIW, IMHO etc etc etc.....I put an Audere in my 2003 USA '75 RI (I know, far newer than an '64 or even an '82, far from vintage.) and it opened up the bass quite a bit without making it sound like a "modern" bass. Audere pre's seem very well thought out and are very transparent, they retain the instruments true character very well. It's a relatively cheap pre so maybe buy it to try it in your '82 first before you take the other bass apart.....but I would put the stock pickups back in the '82 if you still have them and decide to go that route.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

not at all.

It's an easy and reversable and totally worthwhile mod. While you're in there maybe a nice shiedlding job would be in order assuming it was not done at the factory.

A 75 RI with Audere is my #1.