considering avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 17, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    right now i run a hartke ha4000 head through a GK backline 410 cab thats 8ohms. I want to be able to run the head to its fullest copacity which is 400 watts at 4 ohms. Ive been considering picking up an avatar cab rated at 4 ohms because i really dont wanna be lugging 2 separate cabs to each gig. Does anyone use these cabs? Ive heard real good things but never heard how one sounds. Also is there much difference in sound between a 4x10 and a 2x12? thanks alot guys
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm using a SB112 along with a 4x10 and while not the 212 or the 410, I'm digging it pretty well these days. When I first showed up with the box to band practice, everyone was impressed with the construction and while the 1 12" was loud enough for practice, it's probably not big enough to gig alone with.

My impression is that it pushes plenty of low end without complaining, but I only use a 4 string so I can't speak for low B. I have the tweeter turned off, but I play reggae, so I don't use the treble side of things anyway. When I spoke to Dave before buying, I asked him if it could push the lows I want for reggae, and he was more worried that my amp is only 350W and that I might push it too hard and fry the driver by clipping. Anyway, it's got more definition than any 15's I've used and a bit more body than most 10s. I don't think it's necessarily the top of the heap, but it's very road worthy easy to haul around and produces good sound. Well worth the $$$.

I'm gonna eventually get another small cab, probably a Schoeder, and have a kickin' little set up.
  3. Played through both the Pro 410 and the 212. The 212 is more low-punchier, but the 410 is no slacker on the low end. They are both good sounding cabs. The difference IS audible though. The 10's are more defined in the high end (which is why i have a 210 neo stacked on top).
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cooool. Within the next couple months I'm planning on getting two SB112 cabs, hopefully followed by two more sometime after that. I bet'cha I love'em. Everything that I've been reading here keeps confirming that it's just what I need.

I was sort of wishing that they'd come out with a Neo 112, though. Has anyone heared any rumors, or know if I can special-order? ..Well, that's assuming that the neo would handle the bass well or tune with the cabinet riight or whatever. I boost my high-mids anyway, so I wonder if the neo's mid-bump might be right where I like it. It would be pretty cool to get as-good sound for less than forty pounds, instead of 45lbs.

I found a used amp at a music store lately. It's an SWR SM-500 for US$500. Looks to be in pretty nice shape. I figured it'd be perfect because I could drive 250W to each of two pairs of 1X12s that are all-four stacked vertical.
    Does $500 sound like a decent deal? I don't really care if it's the best deal that could be had, as long as it's a reasonably good price - if so, I might have to scarf it up...

It'd take me a month of gigs to pay it off, so I wouldn't be able to get the first Avatar pair for another month... Maybe by then they'll fill-up that empty hole on the bottom-right of their bass speakers web page with a NEO112. Mmm.

5. Call and Talk with Dave at Avatar
    If nothing else he will sell you the empty cab and speakers by themselves.
    I have a B115H. It gets incredible low, very low end but the mids suffer a bit.
    I have heard the B212 is the way to go for the best cab from a single unit.

Right now he is selling the B112 for $199
    I asked him what he would sell an empty cab for and his price was $159 which is not worth it when you can get everything for $199.
    Also, His Neo's have a larger Xmas (extended voice coil travel) for more movement allowance of the cone than the typical Eminence NEO. They are special made for him.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Personally, I think SWR amps (not cabs) are overrated wattwise. I think that you could just go with the Ashdown on the Avatar page and be content.
  7. I emailed Dave this week about neo 12s and he said hopefully this summer.
  8. I fully agree! :bassist:
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

10. I have the B210 NEO. It's got a massive low end for a 210. I play 6 string and the B is very well defined. I'm amazed at how low these things go. Plus the weight? it's fantastic!