Considering buying a new bass, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Aug 9, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I currently have a slammer 4-string fretted bass that (thanks to my brother) has been stuffed in a git-bag for the past 8 years. I"m going to be coming into some money soon and figured I would pick up a new one, this one is not exactly top quality.

I am looking for something reasonably priced, around $400-600 dollars, although I would be willing to spend up to $700 if I found one I really liked.

I have only been playing for roughly 4 months, but am serious about bass and plan to continue playing for many years to come. I am currently using a fender BXR amp that I am not interested in replacing (yet), and I mainly play classic rock(led zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc), but also some metal (Iron Maiden, etc).

I am not interested in a 5 or 6 string, I have tried many and liked none. I dont think I'm good enough to get a fretless, and would prefer a fretted for now anyways. I live in Aurora(45 minutes north of toronto), so the arts is my closest music shop although im probly going to look into both steve's as well as twelth fret, any other good music store locations within about an hour drive that have a good selection would be apprectiated as well.

If you do have any suggestions, I would like to know what basses you use and how long you've been playing, simply because I don't want to recieve information from people without experience (I get enough of that from my guitar playing friends).

Anything you have to tell me would be greatly appreciated as well as any info anyone may have on add-ons (wah-pedals, etc.)
  2. Well considering your music choice I'd say a fender precision of sorts. Second hand if you can get to try it out and check if its healthy.

If you think fender is too dull and want something more modern, I'd say go around and try out a lot of em, check how they play, how they feel (both sitting and standing) write down model/brand names, and do some research on google to see what other people say about them.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Get a used fender jazz or P. Another good one would be the Ernie Ball Sterling or Lakland skyline 4401.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, as soon as I saw those bands on the list, a Precision bass is bound to be in your future! If you shop around you can get a nice used USA P-bass or MIJ P-bass for that price.
  5. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    You can get an excellent used bass in that range. Maybe a nice American Jazz bass
  6. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Used basses:
    MIA or possibly MIJ Precision or Jazz. Play both, buy the one you like better.
    G&L L2000 (USA model).

New basses:
    Mod a good MIM bass (shop around).
    Maybe a new MIJ?
    G&L L2000 Tribute Premium.
  7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmmm, interesting. As of now i was leaning toward the ibanez's, but it sounds like fender is the way to go. Any thoughts on which would be appreciated, and remember that my price range is in canadian.
  8. Used basses I'd recommend include:

Reverend Rumblefish (P/J, J/J, it doesn't matter...)
    Peavey Millennium (make sure it's the American made Millennium)
    Maybe a nice used Yamaha (I enjoyed my BB1500A, and the TRB Series looks cool)
    A simple MIM Fender J or P-Bass could easily be upgraded...

Edit: Come to think of it, my old Peavey Cirrus 4-string (Bubinga model) sold on eBay for less than $700...
  9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've heard some things about the ibanez BTB 400, that it is really good for the price, but can't seem to find a review for one anywhere. Does anyone has any experience that they could share with me on this or other basses you think i should get?
  10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I've tried the Ibanez BTB 5 (I know you want a 4) and I didn't really like the B string or the mid frequency. It's either a bit nasal or boomy in the mids. It sounded great just me and the amp, but in a live setting I didn't like it much.

I really think you should try a lakland 4401 or 4402. They are awesome basses for the money, or Fender because they are still the most recorded basses ever for a good reason.