Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Left Shoe, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Left Shoe

Left Shoe

May 9, 2004
    the problem is, i dont want to dish out 3k on a bass, have you guys found a reasonably priced upright that is a decent instrument?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You should read the newbie posts.

The short answer is look at the laminate Shen's, Christophers, and Upton basses.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Newbie links will help a lot. But, you can easily find a instrument in the $2k range that will suit you for many years. Good luck!

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you're just considering, then even $2k might be a bit much. Try renting for a couple weeks and take a lesson. If it clicks, then buy.

Whatever you do, don't buy a "Cremona" DB from eBay.

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I did, but it was $6k. Plays like one that's $12k, though.
    I call that reasonable. ;)

If you buy a decent bass, you can get your money back out if you don't want to play. Buy a bad bass, and the money is gone forever, and you'll be buying another bass if you do keep playing.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    *Excellent* post. What he said.... But yes, you can find good plys with good setups starting at ~ $1500, and a little over $2K can get into into hybrid territory.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Forget about playing DB man. It's hard. It's expensive. No frets, no dot inlays, bad intonation. CTS, expensive teachers... It's just torture. You'll have to end up playing gigs, be in demand, and the chicks will think you're cool. Come on, you don't want them to think you're cool do you?!?

It's just alot of trouble. I say don't bother.

:D

Ok ok.... forget about buying at first. Listen to the other guys and rent til you get used to one before making a decision. You'll be glad you did.