Considering dumping the 400+ for PLX. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    As most of you know the 400+ is a tank, add to the fact that it lives in a 16 space shock rack, its about 2 tanks. Thats a bit much for bar gigs.

I am thinking about going lighter. Maybe RBI and a PLX series amp. However I am not sure what would be a suitable amp for the Mesa 410 that I have. However it has also occurred to me to get a different cab too.

I realize that I will be drastically altering my tone, but I am prepared to do that in order to facilitate ease of transportation and smaller footprint in general.

Maybe not an RBI, maybe something with some tubes.

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated. Mostly with the QSC question. Would a 1202 be adaquate?

Thanks alot.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    16 space?!? yikes, the rack is your problem! put it in a 4 space and forget getting a new amp. thats what i would do...
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    exactly. i will have a gator 4 shock mount case for sale soon.
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Good point. Though I would rather roll around a heavy rig than have to pack it, plus this way it keeps the amp off of the cab.

Maybe you guys are on to something though. I am just scared to put all those tubes on the cab.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i hate putting my amp on the cabinet so i know what you mean. get an auralex gramma pad. it can go between your amp and cab and is supposed to isolate vibrations. or as shawn mentioned, a smaller shock rack would provide essentially the same thing.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You will regret going from all tube to tube emulation.
  7. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use an F-1X/PLX 1602 combination that I love. That said, do NOT turn loose of your 400+ until you try various combinations at a gig and find that you have something truly better than what you have now.

just my .02

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    And calling a Sansamp "tube emulation" is being generous. But maybe you'd like that generic, soulless bass sound.
  9. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    OK Ok, you guys have scared me enough. Smaller shock rack it is. Either a four or a six spacer I think, got to fit my conditioner in there. Think I will take a look at those Gramma pads, forgot about those.

Thanks alot. Sometimes I go through brief instances of insanity. Or is it just GAS?
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Dumping one of the great tube amps for a common "emulation" setup, that there's insanity. Keeping it and wanting a solid state amp to have access to different tones, that's GAS.
  11. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Words of wisdom.
  12. I use a few thick layers of bubble wrap between my amp and cab (well, my svt), seems to do the trick anyway
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What about that eggshell foam business? Its often used as mattress pads. Would that do the trick?
  14. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have my 400+ in a Gator 4 unit rack case, with holes drilled under the handle gaps to allow for the fan to breathe and cross ventilation. Also it sits on top of the speaker cabs without any problem. This setup is about as light as you can get for a 300 watt all tube amp, and is nice and compact to carry around.
  15. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    YEAH !!! Keep that 400 man. I played one once and it was incredible. I'd also say to get a smaller rack and thats it. Use foam, bubble wrap, Gramma Auralex pad or anything but dont get rid of it. I own a BBe BMAX-T and a PLX3002 and though it's very good, the 400 is juicy tube goodness.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want a lighter head, I would say check out some lighter tube heads. The Traynor YBA-200 would be nice, as would the Eden VT-300. If you just downsize that rack, you should be able to use the 400+, I know I use mine in a 4 space rack and I can carry it myself. I just need help with the cab... :meh: