Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering EA WZ112, worth the extra bucks?, or...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilser, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Hello Guys,
    I am considering adding an EA Whizzy 112 to my GK 400RBIII head. I play mostly fretless in church, but like the occasional distorted (warm distortion a-la jack bruce back in cream, not korn-like brite) rock jam.

My question is, is it worth paying more $$$ for this cab, or can I do fine with an ACME, Avatar or LDS for almost half?

Tell me what you think! What would you do if you had 500 smackaroos for a cab?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm guessing you would do fine with any of the other cabs you mention. BUT, if you want that warm "ampeg fliptop" sound in a 29-30 lbs. package, the wizzy is only way to go.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The wizzy is a great cab and you get alot for the money. Its not as expensive as other "boutique" cabs.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It certainly has earned a rather rapid good rep. In fact, I just ordered one from Bob G. today! Couldn't pass up the light weight and overall excellence of EA's line that I've experienced to date. My CX310 is one of the best bass cabs I've ever used. And I'm also a fan of the iamps (i.e. 600 and 800). All that coupled with the endorsement of TBers who I respect like Tom B. and joker made the choice a no-brainer for me.

As to the price, the Wizzy is considerably cheaper than an Epifani T-112 UL, for instance. IIRC, it's about the same as a Bergie EX112, OTOH.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Wizzy absolutely rules in the "pound for pound" category, in my book. It does not have the super sparkly highs (no tweeter, after all), but has plenty of high end articulation, nonetheless. I do think that compared to other 1x12's, it is certainly worth the extra money, and is still a good bang for the buck at that.

If you wanted to spend less on a similar sized (though probably heavier) cab, you might want to consider the 2x8's and 3x8's from LDS.

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Tom,

I didn't realize you're from Ohio. I'm in South Euclid (suburb of Cleveland)

Check my site out (http://www.sheetsofsound.net)

Maybe we can play sometime?...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My in-laws live in Lyndhurst, so I do get to Cleveland fairly frequently. Do you gig out at all?

I might be able to talk my wife into letting me "get away" on one of our next trips. If you like, I could bring a Wizzy or HT112 or something else, if you want to try one out. I don't know when we will be coming to town next, though.

Tom.