1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering getting a Ernie Ball HD-212 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Apr 17, 2009.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I play a Fender jazz 60th ann. bass strung with Fender Flats

Eden Nav powered by a Crown 402, bridged to 900W at 8 ohms if I get this cab

Fingerstyle player mostly classic rock, dub, motown..covers

Not concerned about the weight issues

Currently run my rig with an Ampeg HLF 410

Just looking for some observations, I have not heard the cab yet, price is right..wondering if this combo will be better then my current Ampig IYHO? Never played with 212s before only 10's.

From my searches tone seems to be there, just weights a ton..whatya guys think?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I had one for awhile, I really dug it! Very well built by some of the same guys that went on to form Markbass. I only got rid of it after a lengthy hospital stay, too heavy for my newer-old-guy-bad-back life style.;)

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I had one for awhile as well, very concise and punchy tones could be had easily with any amp I plugged into it. The cab isn't overly senisitivity (somewhere around 98db 1w @ 1m) but opened up vastly when given lots of watts, the low end extension became much more present the more watts that were fed into it, very strong with authority. Drivers are nice and heavy duty, I forget the model but I know they were B&C. The 6" mid range driver was very smooth, none of the clank that you get from a horn, what I'd describe as articulate and sweet... not harsh. The only feature I think I'd really like that's not on the cab would be an artinuator for the mid driver, definitely not a deal breaker though as the cab sounded wonderful. All together it was a cab that cut well in a band mix but also filled out the space needed in our range... a well rounded match of cutting punch and brute low end for many genres and covered a lot of ground. Build quality second to none, very sturdy and well put together. Had rat fur, but out of all the rat fur covered cabs I've had, it held up far better and looked nicer than any other. If you'll be using the casters I'd suggest changing them out since only one set is swivle, the the other being fixed. The wheels are nice size and roll well, but since one set is fixed it can be hard to control while pushing.

A great cab that I plan on owning again at some point, two would actually be massive in more ways than two. I actually wish I'd never sold it, but gear comes and goes and I don't regret owning my Henry or any of the other cabs I've had since then (Eden, SWR, Avatar, GK).

Hope this helps,

-Benny

p.s. It does weigh a ton, but it's worth it IMO

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Thanks! That's the stuff I want to hear

5. I had a couple Hd212s and a couple HD210s.

GREAT cabs. The HD212 was heavy, but sounded AMAZING. I used it with a GK1001RB-II and a MB LMKII.

I also ran one with an Ampeg V4Bh and the EB HD212 was great with the tubes.

For what they sell for I think it may be the best value for dollar in the used cab market.

6. if its anything like the 210 get it you will not be dissapointed.