Considering investing in a thump machine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JES, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:

Which would you choose for thump? And why?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2015.
  1. Replace fretless neck on 1979 Fender Precision with fretted neck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just put some Labellas on my G&L L2000, run passive, roll off treble and bass and front pickup only

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Buy a used American standard precision (or other precision)?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Used G&L LB-100, or new one in Empress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Used Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blow it out and get a Lull P4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. build a Warmoth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. build a Warmoth short scale

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. If all you want it for is thump, just go with a cheaper import precision

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Carrots, but strung with Labella flats

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Short version: which of the above would you buy to set up as a thump machine?

My Kala U-Bass has renewed my interest in late 60s and 70s style P-bass funk (Meters, Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Jamerson, Bootsy, etc) and darker sounds. I am using a very bright tone in one band, but could get much thumpier in the other one where I have been using the U-bass. I love the U-Bass but its G string just gets lost in our mix.

So I'm thinking of either buying or putting together a 4-string thump machine, but the hitch is I really like jazz bass necks. Or at least I think I do. I also like lightweight basses (under 9# seems to be the thing, and good balance matters).

My favourite necks ever in 4-string are my Modulus Bassstar (jazz profile, thinnish but not Geddy thin), Lull P4, and G&L #8 (beefier than the other two). I was surprised with liking the American Standard Precision neck, though, so I may not be as picky as I think (perhaps I read too much talkbass?).

My options, as I see them:

Replace fretless neck on my 79-80 Precision with a fretted neck (Fender? Warmoth?), but then I lose my fretless.
    Build my own via Warmoth's bodies in stock and a custom neck (or go short scale for extra thump)
    Used American standard Precision? But the bridge is high-mass.
    Used G&L LB-100 with #8 neck (or buy a new one in Empress or something)? The problem is the heavy bridge.
    Skip it all and just put some darker flats on my G&L L2000.
    Used Lakland Skyline 44-64 custom, except I'm not totally in love with their neck for some reason, though it could have just been that bass.
    Blow it out and get a Lull P4.

What would you do?

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

a well made import, with solid hardware, good setup, and labellas (or tapes) will thump just as well as a more expensive instrument.
    With any weakpoints addressed, and inexpensively (electronics/hardware)
    it will work fine as a thump machine as long as the ergonomics (neck profile / finish ETC) fit your needs.

A Dano longhorn makes a great thumper.

So would most of the Squier Vintage Modified series

ESP LTD has some nice ones too

JES likes this.
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i've been using a g&l sb-2 strung with La Bellas, it's not on your list, but it's a little more focused than the LB100 and the L2000 for punchy thumping

/\/\3phist0 and JES like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021