1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering PoDlive & Variax - What amp/cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Alright, I've been looking over the Line 6 gear and am considering the idea of switching to a PoDxt Live and Variax bass setup.

I'd like to hear your opinions on what poweramp/cab would do the best job of reproducing all the modeling.

I'm not really looking for opinions on the line 6 gear itself, I found plenty of that via search.

I'm sure a Berg IP cab would be great, but that's out of my range.

I'd love to keep the poweramp/cab setup under $1000, but I'm fine with hearing your recommendations of setups costing a little higher as well.

Right now I have my eye on some Carvin Powered PA cabs which I would believe to be good for reproducing the modelings.

But what do you think?

2. i would say get a poweramp and get some PA cabs...with all the modelling done, why color that with a bass cab or amp?
    I have a cousin who does the variax guitar and POD, and he goes right into the band's PA, and it sounds very good...you could try that too :)

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah, I'd definately be leaning for as little coloration as possible.

I don't really want to go direct. There's bound to be situations where I would need my own setup due to inadequate or lack of PA. I'd also have to worry about adequate monitoring. Going direct would probably somethign I could consider when going to venues I knew and trusted.

Carvin has a powered wedge that looks like it would be nice for rehearsals and gigs where I want to travel light. It's has an excellent price, I'd just have to see how the sound quality is during the carvin trial period. If I went the Line 6 route, I could afford this shortly after purchasing the other gear.

I could see myself going with a larger rig once I could afford it.

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=APS

The 1588A looks very appealing for use in a big rig.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yep - the 1588p look darn near perfect for modeling.
    I might tend to go with a couple of 1584p to make things more portable.

I hoping Carvin also designs some Neo PA cabinets soon. I bet they have something up their sleeves.