Considering replacing my pickup in Fender CS 59 P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by D Bopp, Apr 23, 2018.

1. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Hi. Been checking out different threads, but can't find the answer to a specific question.

I play a CS Fender 59 P, strung with TI's. I like the tone when I play fingerstyle. But I yearn a little more for some upper mids and highs when I play with a pick. Even with the tone knob all the way up, I sometimes can't hear the attack of the pick when playing in a live setting.

I'm open to suggestions. Considering the Fralin 5% overwind, for it's output and tightness, but head it may dampen the highs a little.

Thanks for any input!

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Roundwounds would have that effect. The normal wound fralin sounds great to me and does have strong high mids. But a much smaller difference than a string change.

imabuddha and Son of Wobble like this.
  3. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    I'd imagine the stock pickups in that bass are pretty good quality. Changing the pickups will probably make the bass sound different but not necessarily better. I agree with pickles: try changing strings first. It'll be a cheaper and simpler process at the very least and it should make a sizable difference in tone from flats/semiflats to rounds.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Thanks. Yes I understand about the strings. But I'd like to stick with these flats, and the current pickup is pretty nice, but a little bland on the higher frequencies.

Thanks again

5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm also voting string change to rounds.

Germane to complaint about lack of attack with TIs: There was a thread where a chap was saying he felt the virtue of TIs is that they record very evenly, i.e., there is no initial spike when you attack the string. I checked this out when test-recording a bunch of different strings and found it to be so.

imabuddha likes this.
  6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. If all else will stay constant, and you will replace the pickup to change the spectral response, then there are basically two approaches, I think. Both rely on trial, however, so take your best informed guess, but be prepared to try several different models of pickup in any case:

One way is to find a pickup whose spectral response is basically like the stock one, except that its output in your target high frequency range is higher.

Speaking of high frequencies, in my experience, they are not uniform as reckoned in bass guitars. There can be a big difference between one pickup's (or fingerboard's, or whatever part's) sibilant highs and another's high frequency glare. There is a range. Within that range, what is perfect for a pick player running flats might be (just for example) clanky for a slapper with rounds.​

Another way is to find a pickup whose balance within the spectrum is totally different, in such a way that the net result for your bass and playing is of your target range being more prominent. In other words, as with equalization, sometimes the best way to boost one range is to attenuate another.

Concrete suggestions:
    • Arcane Inc. '65 Experience P
    • DiMarzio Area P
    • O.C. Duff, custom (don't suggest materials, etc.; just tell him your goals)
    • The Pickup Wizard, special order a plain enamel P pickup
    • Van Zandt Vintage Plus P
    Good luck!

Edit: My CS '59 P is running La Bella 760FS flats. I don't use a pick, but I double thumb, sometimes with the edge of my nail. So FWIW, that bass has an actual 1968 Fender P pickup in it, and that thing is clear as a bell. Recommended if you can find a good one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    D Bopp likes this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Same here, I have fender 63p pickup and Ti flat in my pbass, only fingerstlye and love the tone. Sound lacking bottom with pick.
    Just because TiJF344 tone character have no thick bottom.

I suggest a try with GHS PW ML7200 which have punch and thick low. If you only love Flatwound string, maybe the labella DTF with metal pick will meet your need.

8. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Thanks for the replies. After a recommendation from a good friend, I have ordered a Klein Epic 59 P Pickup. It is supposedly as close as you can get to an original. (The bass in my avatar is an original 1959, and I did love the tone)
    I will report back :)

9. Please, report back !

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022