Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering Sadowsky: PJ or JJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Thinking about a Sadowsky, I'm a JJ fan, and need a good slap sound. recently I read here someone had a PJ bass with a J routing option under the pickguard. That makes me very curious. I've never owned a PJ bass so my question is:how does the sound differ? Is the low end more round? Deeper? more mids? Also, being a fan of the string spacing of my MTD I need to be assured that Sadowsky has the same specs more or less. Any MTD/Sadowsky owners out there? I assume the fretboard radius is fairly flat on Rodgers basses as well, is that true? Thanks.

2. I have a Sadowksy JJ and PJ. Their tone differs a lot. To my ears the JJ has a sweeter scoop than the PJ in the combined pickup mode. I think good examples you can hear are:
    • PJ---Wooten's A Show of Hands
    • JJ---Marcus Miller's The Sun Don't Lie
    Play both for sure. Note that I think the Sadowsky Modern 24 has a killer slap sound too.

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    If you really dig the Jazz sound, definitely go for a JJ, because the PJ won't give you this tone.

I have had both and in the end I found that I preferred the Jazz tone so I sold the PJ5 and kept the JJ5.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Ari said. I've always liked PJ basses because I usually solo the P and dial in some J for funk/slap. But I'm the first to admit that P+J is different from J+J.

Note that some prefer P+J, including Vic Wooten as noted above. But you prefer J+J, so I think you'll be disappointed with P+J.

5. Fuzzbass

Now that I think of it, you might want to consider P+J with the P pickup reversed. This is an option on Sadowsky basses. It sounds different from regular P+J and J+J. Reverse PJ seems to be preferred by slappers (over regular PJ anyway) because of the extra pop on the D and G strings.

6. Fuzzbass

P.S. Sadowsky and MTD basses have 19mm (3/4") string spacing at the bridge. Love my MTD, and I've felt comfy on the Sadowskys I've played. In fact I ordered a Sadowsky but it's still in progress.