1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Considering Sadowsky: PJ or JJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Thinking about a Sadowsky, I'm a JJ fan, and need a good slap sound. recently I read here someone had a PJ bass with a J routing option under the pickguard. That makes me very curious. I've never owned a PJ bass so my question is:how does the sound differ? Is the low end more round? Deeper? more mids? Also, being a fan of the string spacing of my MTD I need to be assured that Sadowsky has the same specs more or less. Any MTD/Sadowsky owners out there? I assume the fretboard radius is fairly flat on Rodgers basses as well, is that true? Thanks.

2. I have a Sadowksy JJ and PJ. Their tone differs a lot. To my ears the JJ has a sweeter scoop than the PJ in the combined pickup mode. I think good examples you can hear are:
    • PJ---Wooten's A Show of Hands
    • JJ---Marcus Miller's The Sun Don't Lie
    Play both for sure. Note that I think the Sadowsky Modern 24 has a killer slap sound too.

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    If you really dig the Jazz sound, definitely go for a JJ, because the PJ won't give you this tone.

I have had both and in the end I found that I preferred the Jazz tone so I sold the PJ5 and kept the JJ5.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Ari said. I've always liked PJ basses because I usually solo the P and dial in some J for funk/slap. But I'm the first to admit that P+J is different from J+J.

Note that some prefer P+J, including Vic Wooten as noted above. But you prefer J+J, so I think you'll be disappointed with P+J.

5. Fuzzbass

Now that I think of it, you might want to consider P+J with the P pickup reversed. This is an option on Sadowsky basses. It sounds different from regular P+J and J+J. Reverse PJ seems to be preferred by slappers (over regular PJ anyway) because of the extra pop on the D and G strings.

6. Fuzzbass

P.S. Sadowsky and MTD basses have 19mm (3/4") string spacing at the bridge. Love my MTD, and I've felt comfy on the Sadowskys I've played. In fact I ordered a Sadowsky but it's still in progress.