Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering the following (pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Sep 30, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I am condidering getting a Laney MB410H (also known as the R410) As well as a Behringer ULTRABASS BX3000T.

Laney MB410H
    [​IMG]

Behringer ULTRABASS BX3000T
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]

Do you people think that this would be a good combination with the possibility of adding the laney 1x15 at a later date and mabye upgrading the amp to 500w, ill never need more than 500w anyway.........

i know there are some threads about the behringer but i havnt seen any about the laney, hopefully im not asking something which has been asked before......
    Thanks in advance

2. I know bupkis about Laney cabinets or Behringer bass heads. Have you had an opportunity to try this rig?

The Behringer head has a post-eq DI. Personally I would much prefer a pre-eq DI for the PA, or a direct box, if using PA support.

How much does that head and cabinet cost?

:confused:

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm not sure how much the Laney cab is, but if you haven't checked out Avatar Cabs, they are cheap and they are also great sounding. I have an Avatar 410 and I love it, and I'm not the only one. Try a search on Avatar cabs, and you'll find more than enough info. Good luck with you rig.

Dirk

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I forgot to mention, im in ireland, so i cannot get avatar cabs, the 410 is approx. £220 sterling, while the head is around £212, Personally i think its a great price.........

5. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Maybe you know, or maybe you don't know, but Behringer stuff is basically reverse engineered products from other companies. The head in question I believe is a copy of an Ashdown. It costs a lot less then the product being copied because no money had to go into the overhead costs (developement, etc.). If you are cool with this I won't stop you but Behringer stuff is relatively new and people don't seem to have problems with it, though behringer has been taken to court over what they've done. I know personally I'd rather pay for the original product, and also have the knowledge that the quality of the product is sound. I'm not saying behringer stuff is bad, but my lack of experience with them and also the manner in which the product line was created (copying) makes me want to stay away from it.

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Well, it is true that i like ashdowns products, but, it is also true that im a student, on £40 a week, and i want to have this for around xmass so i can start up a new band, it has plenty of power for what ill be doing, and it dosent hurt my student habits. Also i think its the cheapest 300w Head ive ever seen.........

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Laney makes prettty good stuff. How does it compare to Ashdown pricewise in Ireland?

Behringer stuff elicits many different responses and in the USA it gets slammed a lot, in Europe less so. The Ashdown lookalike that you mention has been semi-reviewed here so you should take a look. Guarantee period is very important with Behringer. Laney makes good solid gear.

If it were me, I would look for used stuff but I don't know if you are in an area where there is much to buy or look at. Here in Florida, we are floating in used gear but back in the UK, used was as rare as rocking horse poo, so we often had to buy cheaper new stuff.

As ever, try to get the shop to let you try gear with your mates in the band before you hand over the cash! Good luck.

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I have a laney combo, great tone from it, very 'ballsy', The laney is cheaper than any ashdown stuff, as is the behringer, ill look into a warranty on the behringer

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    anymore input guys?

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    READ MY SIGNATURE, LIVE MY SIGNATURE, BE HAPPY.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It does look pretty similar to the Ashdown Mag 250 head I own. Presumably the 'Ultrabass' feature is not disimilar to Ashdown's 'Subharmonizer'? Has anyone had a chance to hear the two side by side?

Wulf

12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Ill have to ask if my Music shop will get them in for me to try, i can play thelaney cabnet as they have it instore but i cant play with the head so i might have to work on that and be nice to the guys in the shop, i can play the laney cab with a laney head so ill give that a go if i cant get them to bring in the head before buying it......