1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering Tribute SB-2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by RBasss, Sep 23, 2008.

1. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    Hi, I've played a few Tribby L-2000s in local stores and always admired the fit, finish, and playibility especially for their price points. I'm in the market for a new stage bass around $500-700 and have been looking at P/J configurations w/Jazz style necks. I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Fender Deluxe Active MIM model but I've been reading up on the Tribute SB-2's and these seem to get rave reviews. Only problem is there aren't any stores in my area that stock these so I'm a little hesitant to buy sight unseen. Can anyone compare these to the Fender? I like the simplified controls on the SB-2 and it sounds like the pick-ups are up my alley (I play hard rock so I want a nice low growly sound). Also can anyone post pictures of their basses? The stock photos on the G&L site are okay but I'm curious as to how "metallic" the black one is. Also, does anyone know of anyone who makes replacement pickguards for these. I like the look of the black model but would rather have the pearloid pickguard from the red model or a tortoise to break up the darkeness since it is a rosewood board. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I can tell you that there's a world of differance between the active fender and the passive sb-2. The sb-2 is sooo much hotter, louder and aggresive sounding. The fender has a smooth compressed sound. And the jazz can't get the super punchy sound of the sb-2. Now having said that I think I like the sound of my fender better right now, but I think it's mostly because it's what I'm used to. I'm just trying to tame the sb-2. You have to be carefulll that your amp has a padded input too becuase the sb-2 is so hot that it will drive the front of your amp crazy if there's no pad. I suppose you could turn down the volume on the bass but I think the sb-2 sounds best with the front pickup dimed with a little of the back pickup for color so turning it down is not an option for me. There is quite a bit of differance in the tone of the front pickup in the last 10% of the volume, it get's real snarly at the top. Of course take all this for what it is which is just my opinion. I just thought I'd chime in since I have both basses your talking about (allthough my fender is an American deluxe).

3. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the quick reply. Good advice definitely, although the fact that you are saying that the SB-2 is "hotter, louder and more aggresive sounding" then the Fender makes me think the SB-2 may be the right choice for me. My LMII doesn't have a padded input but I would think that by adjusting the input gain on the amp I would be able to tame it enough. Anyone else want to chime in? Can anyone post pics of their SB-2s so I can see what they really look like?
    Thanks.

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I'll agree with 68Goldfish in that the SB-2 is definitely a lot more raw than the Fender. So, it really depends what you want.

I bought my Tribby SB-2 used in '04 as a back-up and cheap bass to keep at the space where we rehearsed. I thought the Vol/Vol set-up was too limiting, so I rewired it to have a Vol/Tone/3-way, and it quickly became my main bass for playing with a pick. The neck pickup dimed on the volume and about 85% on tone, with no bridge pickup, and played with a pick is just heaven for a ballsy rock tone. That said, though, I'm more likely to play fingerstyle on my L2000 or my Fender Jazz.

And, also per 68Goldfish, yeah, you need a padded input with the SB-2. Playing it with the volume on 6 or 7 just doesn't do it justice.

Oh, and you can get replacement pickguards from Chandler Guitars, but they ain't cheap...

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Here's mine, by the way. It's the first generation, so I don't think the color is quite the same as the red one. Plus, the photo probably doesn't do it justice. The metallic flake on it is pretty minimal.

Notice the mini-toggle between the volume and tone...

SB22.

6. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Dude, look down a couple of posts on this same board and you'll see a post where a guy post a soundclip of his new SB-2 with a LMII and it sounds bitchen. Ask him about it how it works with that amp. He'll know all about it I'm sure.

7. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006

same deal as mine. V/T and a 3 way. It is everything I need from a passive bass.

DSC01208.

Komp

8. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Those are both sharp looking. I really like the metallic green. I'm definitely leaning more in the direction of the SB-2 now. I think my LMII can handle it after reading some of the other threads. Can anyone else post some pics? Especially interesed in the Tribute colors (Bourdeux Red & Metallic Black).

9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    That green it pretty slick... I do wish the Tribby line had more color options, but I guess you have to keep the cost down somehow...

Again, mine is 1st generation, so I'm not sure how mine compares to the current Bourdeux Red...

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I have the black/black Tribby. The body color seems to be a little sparkly, like the pearl style finish on cars these days.

It's a good lookin' bass. I like it better than the red.

[​IMG]

11. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Hey TDR1138!
    How did you do that rewiring if I may ask? I'm a tweaker and that mod sounds interesting.

12. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Well, I did it about 4 years ago, but if memory serves me correctly, I just got a 3-pole on/on/on mini toggle from Radio Shack, took the hot lead from each pickup into the opposing outer poles on the switch (one pickup's lead to one pole, the other lead to the other pole), and added a hot wire from the center pole to the hot lug on the volume knob. From there, it was basically wiring up a P-bass...

Basically, the chain goes Pickups --> switch --> vol --> tone --> output.

13. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Thanks! Might just try that :D

14. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006
    is actually called Emerald Blue and looks a bit greener in that pic than it actually is

To my eyes at least,I'd say your bass looks more candy apple red. the bordeaux red looks more like fenders midnight wine
    http://guitaradoptions.com/store/image.php?id=4073&type=D

15. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I have a Fender midnight wine Jazz, and yeah, my SB-2 is a lot more of a candy apple. Haven't seen the bordeaux in person...