1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering two pedal boards? Dumb idea or no?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glocke1, Apr 18, 2021.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Im thinking of getting a second pedal board and power supply.

My rationale being this. One pedal board stays home and is used just for practicing and jamming at home.

Second pedal board is for when I go play out or rehearse somewhere, I just grab the effects I want off pedal board 1 and put them on pedal board two. in the end it saves me the hassle of disconnecting pedal board 1 from my amp and recording setup.

Great idea or am I just being too lazy/?

JES, Planespotter, Afc70 and 4 others like this.
  2. Whatever works for you and your needs is a great idea.

Try it, and it may be just the ticket, or you may discover some kinks you hadn't thought of.

However...
    If you had two separate boards with separate effects, I'd think that's better than what you've described.

How is unplugging a few pedals' jacks and power any better/different than just disconnecting your main board from your amp and recording interface? I don't know what your setup looks like, but it would seem no different one way or the other in terms of convenience and effort.

If you had priceless power-picky vintage pedals that should always stay at home, and a separate board for giggin' out with copy-clones of the vintage ones... That makes more sense to me.

To reiterate, do whatever works well for you.

3. I have 3 pedalboards and I'm slowly building a 4th, all with different flavors. I'd say do it just for sake of trying new pedals but if your goal is simply to save you the hassle of plugging/unplugging I'd save my money.

_Obra_, DirtyDuke, Nuage420 and 5 others like this.
  4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I've got two :D one's a bigger ambient-oriented affair with a lot of routing options. The other's a simple in-line thing with effects occasionally stolen from board 1, but usually self-contained.

In your case, if your main board sounds fine both live and recording, I think I'd look more into a way to house it in a case where you can unplug, close, and go.

Among other reasons, input/output jacks on pedals, as well as patch cables, are durable but not invulnerable. The more plugging/unplugging, the more wear on the metal bits. For two, time! It takes me longer to move and sit a pedal than it does to throw my gig board in a bag/case. YMMV.

Staccato likes this.
  5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I have two different boards for three different bands . One board is for a psych rock/electronic band, the other board is for two other bands with more straight forward bass.

857C756B-207D-429E-9346-F684010DD87A.jpeg

89B4E8CD-953C-419D-8EBC-02A8677EA392.jpeg

6. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Why not.

I play bass & guitar & have effects for both

So I have a bass pedalboard & am in the process of creating a guitar one--just need one more pedal & a bigger board for guitar.

SkyMonkey and Staccato like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have a bass board that I've also used a lot for bari. And a guitar board. But I've been planning to pull preamp/comp/tuner from the bass board and make a compact board, I have the material for the deck and hardware and the small CIOKS power unit, I plan to leave space if I want to add a single effect to it. Then I'll segregate all my midi effects and switch manager on a midi board for recording. I have other pedals I only use for fun that aren't on boards and I have considered a basic preamp/tuner/comp board, an effects board, plus the guitar and midi. Why not?

kranahan and Matt Dean like this.
  8. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    The only time it would be a dumb idea is if you only have one pedal.:) I would agree with the suggestion mentioned above of having a travel board and a home board. I do that with my work tools. My "good" tools stay in my toolbox always and I have a smaller set of cheaper versions of them to take when I have to go out in the field. If it's too expensive to do that then the other suggestion is equally valid with your one pedal board being more mobile.
    Personally, I normally don't use pedals most of the time. I do have a pedal board for the metal band I'm in, but it has it's own flight case and goes to gigs from the rehearsal spot in that. For recording at home I just use a Pod, close enough for my needs as serious recording gets done in a studio anyway.
    IMG_4677.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    zontar, Hoyt and Matt Dean like this.
  9. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I’m in the process of doing that very thing, although my reasons are different. One board is a small utility board for most of my gigs (wireless, preamp, multiFX), the other is a much larger “everything but the kitchen sink” board for fun at home. If my needs change, I’ll change everything again. That’s part of the fun.

10. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    It's a normal way of life. Then there is the leftover board which since Sept is better than the other 2 boards for basic sound because the tube preamp that was rejected a year ago is perceived to be better now. Also the rediscovery of the ssbs Buzzz. That sort of thing.

Matt Dean likes this.
  11. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    dumb, expensive, and lazy. I like it! Do it!

_Obra_ and kreider204 like this.
  12. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Why not? I have three.

One with a Noble preamp and Line 6 HX effect. It's big and heavy and expensive and it mostly stays at home/studio

One that's a bit less expensive that I will use for festivals, places with stages, and the like - shows that I won't have to worry too much about it getting damaged.

And my third is my Bourbon street pedal. Cheaper (but still sounds great) and ultra portable.

Each serves a need!

13. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    I got a second smaller board that has multi uses. I have a big board all setup but i hate having to get right down to the floor to dial it in so i have my midi controller, expression pedal on the small board.

This board also doubles as a small board with key pedals for travelling and also just if i want to take a barebones setup.

Probably most important is that removing the midi and expression from big board means............yep that right......room for more pedals!!!!

totally not a dumb idea at all actually it was probably the best move i have made board wise in a long time

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    sounds smart to me

15. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    I used to gig with two smaller boards, thinking it would be easier. It definitely was not. Way less fuss setting up one big board.

What you are proposing though seems like it would work.

16. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    This was me at almost max board, There may have been one or two iterations more... I'm not sure... I'm down to just two.

20170811_204210.jpg

17. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I currently have five boards - one for each band, and an extra for fly dates or quick changeovers.
    it makes my life so much easier not having to worry about building and rebuilding for every show.
    And it also gave me excuses for buying new gear

Treblefree, CyrusHu and Hoyt like this.
  18. Whatever works for you.

For me personally, it sounds like that would be more of a hassle than just using the same board: I find it much easier to disconnect a whole pedal board from my amp and bass than messing with the velcro, patch cables and power cables of individual pedals. That's pretty much the whole point of a pedal board.

19. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Plenty of players have two pedalboards. More than 2 I don't know about. But some players feel the second pedalboard as an alternate. Usually smaller for certain gigs or rehearsal needs.

20. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Two small boards made more sense. Sounded better in these setups. Do what makes sense and have fun experimenting

3453309D-DC4F-4CB7-8162-DA2C277837B0.jpeg AFAB7FA1-66FC-493A-BEE0-DB9400B55FAB.jpeg

zontar, Matt Dean and Planespotter like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021