Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering Warmoth; help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBohn, Aug 13, 2002.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I've been dabbling with the idea of buying parts from Warmoth to make a 6-string fretless. I have no experience in woodworking or the such, but I do have experience with soldering and electronics. I plan on buying everything needed to make the bass; pre-fabricated body, neck w/fingerboard, pickups & preamp, etc.

Would you suggest I do it this route to save a few hundred dollars?

Is it simple enough for me to do it? Would a book help me; can you suggest one?

If this is in the wrong forum, please excuse me and just suggest where this really should go. Thanks for any help.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a little confused...you said "Would you suggest I do it this route to save a few hundred dollars?"

What other way are you considering?

One thing you may consider, if you're going to buy the body and neck pre-fabbed, is to look at Warmoth's Thrift Shop to see if they have the parts.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

This way over buying a bass already made, like I always have done. Never built a bass, but I might like to try if it wasnt that difficult.

But if it is hard, how much do you think a decent luthier would run to put the parts together?

4. If you are getting a Gecko (which you will have to if you want a 6-string warmoth) it should be easy especially if you have experience with electronics, since everything is predrilled, except inserting and slotting the nut, which I would let a professional do.

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I too have decided to build a Gecko bass. (Assuming that is what you mean.) I came to this conclusion because I could not find a bass for under $1500 that suited me. (Mine will be a 5 string, passive, fretless.) I suggest that you make a serious effort to find a production model that meets your requirements first. If you cannot find one, then consider building one. I don't recommend that you build one to save money. The price won't be much different than comparable production models. The advantage to building one is that you get the components that you want. The disadvantages are: there is a huge risk that the bass may not work for you or sound the way you want, and the resale value is very, very poor.

Regarding the first disadvantage, I have decided that I am not going to try to have too many pre-concieved ideas of what it should sound like. I am not looking for the sound of an MTD, or an FBass, etc. That would be pointless. It will be what it will be, and _hopefully_ that will be pretty good.

Regarding the second, there is nothing I can do about that. I have to assume I will loose at least %50 of my investment.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, its a Gecko I'm after. As you do, I have no preconception of what my tone should be either. I'm trying to get an unlined 6 string ebony fingerboard bass. I have found NO ONE who can do that for under $1500. Adding up the costs for Warmoth parts, it comes up to 1100 to 1400, depending on what wood finishes and woods I get.

Then again, I'm still not sure I will stick with fretless, so maybe I should put this project off and find a lesser-priced good quality fretless, whether its 5 or 6 string, to see if I will stick with fretless. I can say I like playing it, but I don't know how I will be with it long-term. Decisions, decisions, decisions...:confused:

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To me, a big factor in building one (or assembling one) that hasn't been mentioned yet is the "fun" factor.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Dave at http://www.dpcustom.com will build a 6-string starting from $750...even if you take $500 in options, you would still have a custom-built 6er for $1250...beats Warmoth any time, in my opinion.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmmm, lookin at his site.... I'll check em out. Thanks for the recommendation.

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you are interested in Dave's basses, do a search...there are a lot of threads on his work on TalkBass

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, I have been reading some of the very controversial threads regarding DP Custom bass quality and customer service.

12. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That's why I backed off on a DP Custom.

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Yeah, after reading all those threads, I see what you mean.

14. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Carvin. I don't own one, just read the catalogs. They seem decent.

15. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I bet Laurence Mollerup can build you a nice one in this price range as well he is around here somewhere as lmbass I beleive or maybe its just LM....

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    ESP-LTD - yeah I know Carvin can do one but it won't be to the specs, types of wood, and finish I want for that price. The Carvin could be a good bass, but at the way I want it, it'd be over 1500.

smakbass - never heard of them. hmm, ill check it out.

17. Gecko's do look like the answer for those semi-custom-lovers out there, but that resale value warning is well-placed. Dig the inlay though.