Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Consistancy of the Fender Geddy Lee bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was intrigued by a post showing a GL bass that had the pickguard changed and a preamp added. So this got me thinking....hmmmm.

Now I know that most any bass manufacturer can run the gamet from phenominal basses to marginal dooky. And Fender can surely be at both extremes and the bell curve comes to mind.

I've test drove two different Geddy basses and one was pretty much dead and surprisingly heavy and the other was actually quite sweet.

I live in an area pretty much devoid of most any cool basses except for the wonderful Conklin's that show up where I take my lessons and of course the cool basses that David King builds. So expecting to find a GL in any of the local shop or even the two local GC's is pointless.

I was thinking that I should pick up a GL, do a couple of little mod tricks that wouldn't change it from the basic idea.

So the big question is just how consistant are the Geddy Lee basses? Should I feel comfortable ordering one or have the general populus found that they can go either way? I may end up with a great one, if kharma is on my side, or a turd.

It looks like $630 is about the going price on these. Anybody know any different?

thanks!

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive played two GL's. i thought both were really nice. however one was little banged up and obviously not taken care of by the store. but it didnt effect the sound, both sound really really nice.

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I bought one when they first came out, and it plays
    and sounds as good as my 82 gold jazz bass. i use
    DR highbeams 45-105. and it stays in tune and i have had no problems with it at all. i play with the back pick-up full on, the front about 1/4 on and the tone all the way up. I would recomend it, it is a good bass for the price.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i am partial to fender japan,i personally prefer them to most all other basses:bassist: i own a few japanese basses now and cannot say enuff good about them,back to the G.L. j/bass, i palyed 3 of them all at different stores as far as quality controll,
    IT WAS CONSISTANT WTH ALL THE BASSES,even though the set-up,action and neck relief were not all the same,the general quality of the basses were all identical (paint,finish,neck,and general sound quality)
    GO 4 IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK YOU WONT BE SORRY!:bassist:

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Geddy Lee (second one I've owned) & it's a really great bass. All the ones I've seen in stores have been equally as impressive except for the beat up ones in the big chains!!!!

I made a few changes to make the bass more of a Nino Brown Jazz:
    -instaslled a set of BAssLine "Hot for Jazz" because I got them really cheap.
    -installed a HipShot D-tuner cause all my 4 strings have them.
    -I routed a truss rod cavity so I don't have to take the neck off every time I need to adjust the neck. The 1st GL I had, the 1st time I took off the neck, a chunk of paint chipped off & I was upset, to say the least. :)
    -I changed the control layout to Volume Blend, tone cause most (I think all) my main basses have a blend & master volume.
    -I'm adding a Mirrored pickguard later this week cause I like the look of my Sadowsky Vintage Jazz with a morrored guard.
    [​IMG]

As is, the bass was great, the pick-ups didn't need to be changed but I like the sound of the Duncans slightly beter so they stayed in.

6. I got mine on eBay for $500, which is not out of the ordinary. All the MIJ Fenders I have played kicked a more or less equal amount of ass and my GL is the most excellent Fender I have played. It seems that the GL has become quite popular latey. Do I talk too much about this bass?

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Yes that is true, The FENDER MIJ BASSES are high quality, i also have a STING BASS (MIJ) and the quality and sound are exelent. I also have a 1994
    fretless jazz (MIJ) that is perfect and sounds great.
    when i was working part time at a music store a few years ago, customers would come in from other countries and ask to see the MIJ FENDER stuff.

(HD's edit - NV43345, please see this thread.)

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    hey nino i thought the geddy bass only came in black,what gives?your blue one rocks hard dude!
    you have an awesome stable of basses nino, you are a lucky man, you have alot to greatfull for
    and i mean that with the ut-most respect and jealousy :bawl: ROCK ON NINO!

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    C'mon dude, was that necessary? :rolleyes:

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ****cough cough troll cough cough******:rolleyes:

11. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    actually, that's a blue sadowsky vintage jazz with a mirror pickguard... i did a double take myself... if the geddy lee jazz looked that freaking sweet, i'd get one too ;)

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the last time i priced a GL Jazz was a month after i took mine back.

the GC salesguy told me invoice was $510. at the time he was gonna sell it to me for 10% over.

$561.

not bad.

i passed though.

i played a few american jazzes today that i thought were really nice.

i think the consistency of GL Jazzes are excellent.

haven't played a bad one yet.

and i play a lot of 'em.

best GRUNT around!

f

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey fred ... i am courious what you would think of an essex.....

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I second that. I went to high school in Japan (still go back when i visit the parents) and all the MIJ instruments (not just Fenders) I played were great. The guitar player in my band has one of the original '80's MIJ squier strats and he likes it better than any MIA strat he's played. I've never played a Geddy Lee, but I sure want to.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I haven't come across a less than very nice one yet. The same is true of the Marcus Miller Jazzes. They've ranged from very nice to extremely yeah I don't really need one but damn!! nice.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    As Jarrod stated, it's my Sadowsky Vintage 4. I'm gonna kinda match the Geddy Lee with that bass.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For me they range from "damn I wish I could spare the change" to "where can I sell a kidney?"

Now that I think of it, I don't know why I haven't picked up an MIJ instrument yet.

18. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I just bought a Geddy Lee off of MF (along with an SKB hardshell case) and I am trying to find a replacement pickguard for it. There was one on ebay with a black pearloid pickguard that (I thought, at least) looked really awesome. Here's a picture of it:

[​IMG]

Anyways, I have been trying to find a black pearloid pickguard for it, but I haven't been able to! I looked on WD Music Products (wdmusicproducts.com/pickguards.com) and I also checked Musician's Friend for them, and I don't think I can find any exact matches. Are there any that would fit the same hole pattern, do you know? Thanks a lot folks - what a great bass!

19. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I'm very happy with my Geddy Lee, but I modified it anyway. I'm waiting to get it back from the shop with the J-Retro and DiMarzio Model J's fitted, and I had a truss rod access channel routed too.

I've got a mirrored pickguard too, but it looks like Nino has beat me to it :(

Speaking of Nino, am I going mad or is that Jason Vorhees standing behind you in the reflection of your mirrored pickguard?

Look out Nino!!

(ch ch ch ch) - that's the Friday the 13th noise:D

20. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    Mat, where'd you get a pickguard that fit on your Geddy Lee? I looked on WD Music Products but I couldn't find one that fit (or what looked like it to me, at least.). Any help/suggestions?