Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

consistent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Mar 13, 2004.

1. If this rumbles the wrong way, lease delete it no hard feelings.

Just wondering what basses people find inconsistent and consistent in quality and sound, which basses people wouldnt take the risk of buying over the net just because of the consistency, which basses you know you can trust

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Music Man basses have always been totally consistent in my experience.

I would never buy a Fender without playing it. I don't think I'd ever buy a Fender again, period. Maybe an old one if it felt really nice, and had a neck that didn't have any dead spots -but I think that's incredibly rare. I'm predjudiced - can you tell? :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Consistent: Music Man

Inconsistent: Fender, Low end Ibanez

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Consistent: Spector

Inconsistent: Warwick :meh:

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't care what you buy over the net, anything can be misrepresented. Just make sure you put 100% of purchase on your credit card cause it's the best cover you've got. You'r credit company will get their attention when you reverse payment after you've got a substandard piece, for Ebay and paypal, a fraudulent claim is just another means of rakeing in the bucks (out of you're pocket of course) and burning up your time (months!).

The seller is actually more important than the item cause you're covered with a seller who backs his product. I bought a pair of JBL K145s for $400 and they were froze. The guy was reputable enough to refund the money and shipping boths ways (as it should be) but wasn't reputeable enought to either check the speakers out before listing (although he said he did) or listing them as in need of recone ($200 a pop for orig. JBL - and the K140's JBL doesn't even make kits for anymore). I give the seller the hairy eyeball before I bid on anything and @!!$$ still happens sometimes. Always email at least one question - how they respond will tell you a lot about them and check their feedback for what it's worth. The worse bass I bought was from some dude with over 250 transactions with a 99.9% feedback rating (from $#%$@ baseball cards of all things - probably never had a transaction over $50)) who clearly misrepresented the bass. But if they've had more than one negative feedback or few transactions, I pass. The worst is speakers - 5 out of 15 were junk - that's 33%.

Happy Bidding (schmuck!) - that's the part ebay leaves out.

Your question is not a bad idea in terms of what the manufacturers put out, but any bass can be junk if it's been through the hands of morons. I saw a Pedulla MVP that some stooge took a file to the frets. It was beyond sad. It was scary. That guy's probably still out there somewhere.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Consistant: Spector, Godin, Musicman, pre '97 Warwicks
    Inconsistant: Essex, Fender, Ibanez

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    based only on my personal experience and without influence form internet rumors:

Consistent:
    Fender, Music Man, Rickenbacker, Reverend, Eko (italian cheap brand), Spector

Inconsistent:
    G&L, Ibanez, Lot of hand made crap from self-called luthiers.

8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    in my experience musicmans and modulus (moduli in the plural i guess?) are the only basses that have had consistent quality, while the worst have been any fender and ibanez.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I too will attest to the fact that with Fender, you never know what you'll get. Play them in a store, and you'll find a lower end model nicer than the more expensive Fenders. If you get a crappy American or Deluxe, you'll be pretty disappointed.

10. Fender, I must agree, is quite inconsistent. Some basses just don't feel right, while some feel incredible.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree. I played a MIM and an MIA in the same store and the MIM was a better bass. I've also played several MIAs in a store and found that some were amazing and some jsut weren't very good.

Consistant: Lakland

12. Some companies just don't know the meaning of "quality control".

I won't name any, but one in particular stands out in this thread.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I agree with this sentiment,,, so true is it,, that its virtually a cliche.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I find the G&L Tributes pretty consistent, but I've only ever played one Cali-made one (it was stellar).

Inconsistent: Fender, Warwick.
    Consistant: Yamaha, G&L Tribute series, Godin.
    The local Yamaha dealer carries a couple low end Yamahas (RBX260), but the majority of their stock is mid-high end (BB405, two RBX774, a TRB4-II, a BBNE) but it's all good quality, all across the board.

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I don't find many to be consistent.... except boutique basses and that is itself is contradictory....

But I do consistently find Fenders and MMs to be let downs in all areas of the spectrum.

Not much off the rack is ready to rock.... they allllll need set ups! :mad:

16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've seen the Fender thing all over the place, but my experience doesn't reflect it. But then I've only had maybe five Fenders (four US and one MIJ), and a Squier. All were good. Of these Fenders, I've bought three over the internet without playing them first. Worked for me. My current '03 MIA Jazz is a fine bass, without much in the way of dead spots. So far, the only Fender I've played that I thought was a dog was a '69. I've also played a '69 that I thought was absolutely stellar, but maybe with some good setup the other one would be OK. Maybe not, I don't know.

I must have owned the only lousy Pre-EB Stingray ever made, if the 'net comments are to be believed. Bought it brand-new in 1981, and it was probably the heaviest bass I've owned, including my '78 P. E string wasn't great, nor was the G. But it's long-gone now. The EB Stingrays and Sterlings (and SUB's) I've played have been great.

Since I live in San Diego, I go to the Carvin showroom from time to time to see if I want one (and to buy various accessories). So far, I haven't. And they're not as consistent as one might hope. Some have dead spots, some play better than others (and I don't always buy "Oh, it just needs a setup"). Nice basses, but so far, I've liked Fenders better.

So there's my $.02.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Consistent:

Ernie Ball MM Basses. For a production line, they do some amazing quality control work. A salesman once told me, as I was trying to decide which SR5 to buy, "Pick what color you want. There are no EBMM dogs." I've come to believe he may just have been correct.

Reverend: My test group consists of only two, but both were superb, even used. Minor setup to conform to Camp Bovine standards were all that was needed.

Lakland: USA and Skyline models. Minor tweaks to fit my madness and they were perfect.

I do wonder about the inconsistency in the Fender line. One bass will feel very different from another, but how long has the 'bad' one been hanging there? How many paws have beaten on it? When was the last time anyone checked the setup? Are the strings two years old?

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    As for the last bit of Fenders, I have a perfect example of what you're talking about. On the rack at a local store are:
    1 MIM P-bass (1 year, big scratch on the bottom of the body*)
    1 MIM J-bass (1 year, mint)
    1 MIA J-bass (4 months, spotless)
    1 Geddy Lee J-bass (Year and a half or so, countless fingerprints and smudges all over it)
    From the sound of them, the strings have never been changed. The MIA Jazz was part of their Christmas stock. The Geddy's been there since just after I started lessons at that store in Sept 02. I'd hate to come in and buy that Geddy, unaware of its history. That bass should be considered "used", if only for how much I play it (every week before my lesson for a year and a half).
    *This was kind of my fault...I was playing it while sitting on a black metal stool and it collapsed under me...I threw my arms up with a firm grip on the bass, which is a damn good thing, 'cause all it got was a small shock and a scratch out of the finish (not deep, only goes to the undercoat) but I shudder to think of what might've happened if it had free-fallen.
    Also note that this is NOT a big store by any means, the extent of their bass stock is what I listed above, a few misc Fernandes, and a whole whack of Yamaha (a pretty good variety, actually). Nifty note about the Yamahas, they've had two Yamaha RBX774s there since a couple months before I started lessons and they've been marked down from $1500 to $800 in that time.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There is ONE OBVIOUS recurring name,, in virtually every reply to this thread,,, isn't there...

20. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    Consistent - Yamaha, high end luthiers, rickenbacker

Inconsistent - Warwick