Console Stereo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Anyone here a fan of the old console stereos? I just picked up one from the late 50's and have had a bit of trouble finding information on it.

2. Not really a fan, but I do remember them. I also know someone who has one, It was passed down from their grandparents. I think they hang on to it for more of a sentimental value.

When I see one of those it makes me think of how the technology has changed. Something that was once a piece of furniture can now be replaced by something that can fit in the palm of your hand.

My mother still has a console TV. Her second actually. The first was the real deal, all tubes. The second is a solid state 27" screen replica of the first, probably a good fifteen years old now.

I did a quick google.

One thing I found was that is cost $15.00 to dispose of one in New Hampshire. Kind of makes me think that there might not be much of a niche as a collectable.

Have you tried to contact the manufacture?
  3. This model is all-tube (115 watts) and in pretty nice shape. I picked it up because I have some nice memories of my grandparents' and it matches my furniture. I also (this probably speaks volumes for my taste) like the "old radio" sound.

The brand is AMC. I haven't found their website, yet, but there is an AMC still producing home stereo equipment.

4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I was in high school my neighbor was once getting rid of one so I took it because all I had was a crappy late 80's Magnavox bookshelf system. I rigged it so I could feed my CD player through it. Those little 6x9's (I think that's what they were) could really produce some bass in that big cabinet. It surprised me.

brad cook
  5. This one has 2 12's and 4 3"(?) speakers. Decent bass for an open backed setup. I plan on rigging a cd player to it, but the current "Multi-Plex" inputs don't quite fit what I have at the house.