1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conspiracy nuts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I feel the need to vent, but I'm disinclined to do so on Facebook, as I fear I'll come across as sullen or ill-tempered to my friends, and I'm really just exasperated with these people.

I despise these so-called "truth seekers" who will swallow and propagate any hypothesis of the "New World Order" and other evil cabals, complete with numerology, obscure symbols in pop culture (and the Olympics!), and calls to all us "sheeple" to "WAKE UP!" It infuriates me. Their logic is completely nonsensical, but unfalsifiable.

Has anybody here dealt with people like this? :help:

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don't know about any secret handshakes, but if they are referring to the fact that we are living in a military-corporate police state ruled by money, then they are probably on to something.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    best to just ignore them. Your likely not going to change whatever aspect of their personalities/methods of thinking that led them to believe what it is they believe so why bother? Lots of better things in life to worry about...

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's weird you're afraid to express yourself openly on your Facebook page.

-Mike

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I think it's also weird to have a Facebook with multiple people you despise.

6. I have. They're called New York Jets fans! They actually think they can establish their "New World Order" on the AFC East, but they've got another thing coming! They've got to get past Tom Brady and the mighty Patriots first! ;)

7. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    I prefer not to offend people, that's all. I've done it before, and it's never turned out well.

Most of these people I don't know personally. Perhaps "despising" them is a bit strong.

The annoying part right now is that someone I thought I knew, who was looking to have a successful life, suddenly posts one of these videos and starts supporting it without a hint of sarcasm. I thought he was, you know, not crazy! :rollno:

8. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    :D

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Just "Matrix" them. It's what I do. Tell them that the conspiracy they believe is exactly what the nefarious them wants them to believe.

10. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    There's always next time! Good idea! :D

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    If you would like primary sources and documentation, I can provide them, if your mind is open enough to expose yourself to new information.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that yes, there are idiots out there that will just get angry and spout off whatever Alex Jones says. I'm disappointed that these people are turning people away from important issues and information.

12. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yeah, this thread won't end up getting too 'political'. :rollno:

Fanatics come in all flavors whether from the left, right, top, or bottom.

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are many people who want to believe in something. What their character problem is that leads them to buy the stupid stories from preachers, charlatans, shysters, politicians and others who tell flatly impossible stories, I don't know.

The Jonestown Massacre was one of the more absurd and amazing examples. http://history1900s.about.com/od/1970s/p/jonestown.htm It's hard to believe that more than 900 people killed themselves to follow a religious nut.

But there are people ready to believe almost anything, no matter how preposterous. It's like they really NEED someone to tell them what to believe.

I still believe that you're responsible for the consequences of your actions, whether you're gullible or not.

15. Sometimes I think it's just plain, naked fear. I know a couple of fundamentalist Christians, and they have completely surrendered their critical thinking skills. The way they describe it is IMO God the Puppetmaster, who directs their every waking moments. I also call it the North Korea Syndrome, with God as Dear Leader. You don't want to piss off the Dear Leader, lest he cast you in the Lake of Fire for eternity. I'm not trying to make this religious, but this to me is the underlying psychology of fanatics.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    For the record, there are a few good conspiracy theories out there. Not all of them are completely off the map and outside the realm of possibility (or at least portions of them). That said, there is a looooooooooot of crap out there, too.

17. This

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    In all things, there is usually a grain of truth, and from that grain of truth can grow all kinds of crops, depending on the fertilizer.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Good read. Any time people surrender their own judgment to a preacher, political leader or other power figure, it should tell them to get away from that person.

This phrase is the most accurate and descriptive in your post: "...they have completely surrendered their critical thinking skills."

20. Took the keystrokes right outta my fingers!