Constant Anti-Bass Rhetoric at School. =P

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Progressive, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have to admit, it's getting very annoying to try to deal with all of the people bombarding me with questions like: "why do you play bass, it's so much easier than guitar", and "dude, no one can even hear bass, don't play it". Their ignorance and single-mindedness in the subject cuts, and hard. Because popular music seems to have accepted electric guitar as the prima vera of music, many many people around here are harshly critical of bassists.

I simply don't understand their logic; bass and guitar are completely different instruments, and they can be as challenging as either of them need to be.

Sorry, just venting. :hyper:
  2. Most of the people I mentioned (generally) have the ideal that: Anyone who plays bassist is a failed guitarist, and that any guitarist can just pick up a bass and play like a pro, whereas bassists automatically suck at guitar as a prerequisite.

These are also people who believe drummers are, and I quote, "drooling doofi".
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    All the drooling doofi and failed guitarists should stop playing for a month or so and then our mighty guitarists will be up Cover profanity completely! ~Mod. creek with out a paddle.

Then people will say "wow that guitarists sounds screechy and really flat and is all out of time with that other supereme wonder of music and his guitar, they must really suck".

So the guitarists will go crying to their mothers with their bruised egos and the rhythm section will laugh at the chaos that they have caused. Oh how they will laugh.

:eek: where the hell did all that come from?
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    vive la revolution :bassist:
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You know, you seem to take an awful lot of offense about this, and about other things that I've noted in your posts, for being someone who doesn't have his bass yet. I mean, I'm all for enthusiasm, but you seem to go a bit overboard about these things. Probably once you get your bass, you'll stop caring.
  6. +1

Why even bother llistening to those cats who just try to cut others down?
  7. you will only hear that from non-musicians, even if, they own a guitar. stand tall soldier. we don't do it, for them.
  8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. forget about the ignorant people. they don't matter to you.

Do what you love, without worrying about people might think. You'll be a happier man in doing so.
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    +1 bajillion zillion jillion.

It's good practice for developing a thick skin. If you're serious about playing and gigging out, you'll have to deal with drunken hecklers, belligerent drunken hecklers, hecklers in general, and regular ornery folk that like to make fun and start fights. Compared to that crowd, people who are ignorantly critical of bass are nothing.

Besides, no one plays electric guitar anymore, it's all about the MPC and Reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.