1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Constant clicking/popping noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by parkerd, May 8, 2006.

1. parkerd

parkerd

Mar 26, 2006
    Perth, WA
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to diagnose a problem that just occured with my new amp.

Few weeks ago, I bought myself an Ashton BA150 (Aussie budget brand), and it's been working fine. However, after the effort of taking it about 50kms to the drummers house (which is closest to where we practice), I noticed that after about 1 and a half hours of playing at about 7, the amp suddenly inherited an annoying clicking/popping noise.

The amp is rated at 150W RMS, and the speaker is a 15" Celestion TRUVOX 1525 (rated at 250W). The noise is a consistant clicking sound, which happens once or so every second. I've ruled out mobile phone inteference, as our phones were far from the amp, and all switched off. Electrical inteference is probably out, as the only nearby electrical appliance were a fridge (which is quite a distance away, and no sound is deleloping in the guitarists amp), and the guitarists amp (although the noise still occured when he switched off).

I haven't yet maxed the amp completely, as the most I've set gain is 5, and the master volume has only been at max for about 1 or 2 minutes at the most, when it was back at my house.

I don't think the clicking itself is inteference of any kind, as it is consistant, but is also random (i.e. it doesnt click at a definit interval).

Would this be something like speaker damage, loose wire, bad solder joint, etc?

The amp itself is under warranty, so the store I bought it from will see what they can do about it, but I won't be able to pick it up from the drummers house for a couple of days, as the car is going in for a service.

Has anyone else had something similar, or know what it may be?