1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Constant pock noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by et0518, Feb 3, 2018.

1. et0518

et0518

Feb 3, 2018
    When i use a pick on a bass guitar theres always this annoying clicking sound whenever i play. What can i do to minimize pick noise? My picks are 0.9 mm thick

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Two answers come to mind. Play with your fingers, or notch out around 1 k. With a parametric eq.

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Carol Kaye pick method wasn't helpful? How many hours did you spend practicing her suggestions?

fearceol and Lobster11 like this.
  4. et0518

et0518

Feb 3, 2018
    been practicing the CK method for about a week now. Still trying to get things worked out.

5. Try a thicker pick. A 2.0 to 3.0 may do the trick. That is the thickness I used, when I was using a pick. I'm now using my thumb. I like the sound of my thumb better.

Bassbeater and gebass6 like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If that's true, you clearly haven't been doing it right. All of the problems you reported in the thread you started earlier today are exactly the problems you wouldn't have if you were correctly practicing the CK method. The clicking sound you're reporting here is the least of your problems: You should focus on getting your technique together before worrying about this one.

7. Turn the treble knob on your amp down to zero.

BOOG and Bassbeater like this.
  8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Plus one. More like how many weeks.... !!! Sometimes it can take quite a while to master a particular technique.

Lobster11 likes this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Try a nice thick Dunlop Primetone 5mm.
    A nice dark tone.
    It will eliminate any pick noise.
    It slips off the string with no effort. Dunlop Primetone 5mm.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Nashrakh likes this.
  10. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    So many possible reasons. Picking too close to the bridge. Thin pick slapping. Hitting the strings before you pluck them. Improper attack angle. Using a pick. -I play both guitar and bass. I always use pick on guitar, almost never on bass. I'm sure you can find a ton of youtube videos that will let you compare your technique with others and help you find the tone you are looking for.

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It could also be clicking on the other side of the nut or bridge. Try padding the strings near the tuning pegs or by the bridge to see if it goes away.

Bassbeater likes this.
  12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Try to be more patient with your progress. Learning to play the bass takes months and years, not days and weeks. Set realistic goals and methodically work toward them a little bit each day. :)

fearceol and Lobster11 like this.
  13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Is the noise coming out of the amp, or are you hearing it directly from the strings?

14. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Besides technique, pick material and thickness makes a difference, too. Some make more of a click than others.

- John